Skip to main content

help !!!, new to windows.... :D

More
17 years 10 months ago #15427 by davidklose
Well, here it is. There's a pc with windows at home :cry: (dont know how) and i would like you guys to advise me on antivirus and security software. Its just for home use (internet, and....internet.)
Thanks for your time.
More
17 years 10 months ago #15428 by Supreme7
Replied by Supreme7 on topic Try Using AVAST
For your antivirus try using AVAST by Awil it is a free download and free updates for home users.

Peace,

Supreme7 :twisted:
More
17 years 10 months ago #15440 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Security
Another good option for antivirus is the free edition of AVG. You can download it and you get automatic updates off the internet too.
For security if it's XP then the built-in firewall is a good starting place; make sure it's turned on. However just those two things won't secure your machine; the best security is user awareness. Tell your family the kind of websites not to visit, not to follow links in unsolicited emails, not to reveal their personal information, not to fall for phishing scams etc. I'd also recommend you install both Spybot and Ad-Aware, keep them updated and scan you machine say once a month or whenever you suspect problems. Another tip is that if you set up multiple users on your PC then give yours administrative privileges but make the others - especially if kids will be using it - ordinary users. This limits the damage done if they do download something
More
17 years 10 months ago #15445 by DaLight
In addition, unless you're behind a firewall device, it's always a good idea to install a software firewall such as Zonealarm as XP SP2's built-in firewall has its failings.
More
17 years 10 months ago #15447 by The_Berzerker
I agree with what TheBishop said about awareness, it is the best way to keep everything secured. On to the programs, I would recommend Avast as an antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall (both are free for home use).

Edit: Sygate no longer exists, it has been acquired by Symantec, damn it was a good personal firewall..

Cheers
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds