Skip to main content

Windows98 Tricks!!!!!!!!!!!

More
18 years 3 months ago #13176 by chitti
Hi Guyz,

I have a question for you guys, I have win98 and win2000 installed on my comp now when I login to win98, I go to command prompt and create a folder by pressing ALT key for EX:(ALT+222) NOTE: The folder name should be in digits and it should be from 1 to 255. Now after creating it I exit from command prompt and go to windows and try to open that folder I cannot open that folder, but if I login to win2000 I can open that same folder which I created it in win98 command prompt....

Why is that I am not able to open that folder from win98 windows (But I can rename and open it from win98 DOS) :?: :?: :?:

Plz do post this kind of tricks which ever you know......

Thanks,
Raj
More
18 years 3 months ago #13183 by nske
If I remember correctly, in windows alt+{table-code} produces unicode characters that are not supported in windows9x explorer.
More
18 years 3 months ago #13184 by chitti
If you don’t mind can you explain it in brief…..

Thanks,
Raj
More
18 years 3 months ago #13188 by nske
To describe characters in the digital world, there are some character sets, actually tables that match the binary representation of the character with a handle that can be used by software -in combination with a font- to display the character as we see it, or to import it i.e. through the keyboard. In older days -mostly-, where resources like memory storage capacity were limited, people didn't want to waste any precious bytes in describing characters that would not be used -like arabic or greek characters-. So they created multiple character sets, each containing a number of characters that would be used in each specific environment (i.e. the iso-8869-7 charset contained all the greek alphabet letters & symbols along with the latin alphabet was meant to be used by software in greece). These character sets allowed for each character to be represented by only using one byte (8 bits), that's why they were called single-byte character sets.

Unicode is a more recently adopted standard that contains all of today's characters of all languages and (not so) common symbols, but to do so it has to utilize more than one byte. There are several unicode encodings, most notable utf-8 which is a variable-length encoding, some of the characters have to be described with up to 4-bytes (usually 2), however compatibility to the 256 ASCII characters (i.e. the latin alphabet) is retained -these characters are described with only one byte using the same codes.

Now, by entering a character this way (pressing alt+{incremental number on the character set table}), as it appears, you entered a character that is not properly supported for use as a filename by windows 98 explorer (the program used to open the directory). Some other filesystem-browser software should be able to read the name under windows98, if it included native support for that character set instead of relying on windows for the translation.

I don't know for sure whether characters entered this way in Windows correspond to some standard unicode encoding, however microsoft is well known for ignoring real standards and creating her own "non-standardized standards" -that's what the "partial unicode support" in windows 9x or the existense of Windows-mpla-mpla charsets imply and that's why things get broken. In any case, the problem that you describe is most likelly caused by character set incompability -there is a chance you could fix it by changing the character encoding in windows98 but I have no clue to what. Here's an article that might be of some help.

www.uwe-sieber.de/codepage_e.html
More
18 years 3 months ago #13222 by havohej
Hey friends?? do you have any windows 3.1 tricks??
jajajaja just kidding! please understand the joke ;)

:lol:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds