Skip to main content

Help Decrypting Files

More
18 years 4 months ago #12528 by Lindows
Hey Guys,

I recently had a folder on a old windows machine that i copied over to my current machine. The files were encrypted when they were on my old machine, so my problem lies when i try to access them on my current machine i get access denied.To fix the problem i went into regedit to add the decrypt option to my menu, but the when i try t decrypt the files. still no luck. I don't want to loose these files. :cry:

Does anyone know how else i can solve this problem.

Lindows
More
18 years 4 months ago #12531 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: Help Decrypting Files
hi,

did you used Windows EFS (Encrypting File System) on the file? if you did i think that the administrator of the old windows box would have rights to decrypt the encrypted files. just supply the credentials for the admin (if you know it) and try to decrypt it.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12533 by FallenZer0
Isn't an encrypted file or folder is decrypted if you copy it to a volume that is NOT an NTFS File System Volume?

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
18 years 4 months ago #12538 by senior
Replied by senior on topic Re: Help Decrypting Files
It really depends on which flavors of windows you're using. The following link to MS may help...
support.microsoft.com/kb/841715/en-us
More
18 years 3 months ago #12623 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Re: Help Decrypting Files
Thank You!
More
18 years 3 months ago #12685 by Ozzy_98
Replied by Ozzy_98 on topic Re: Help Decrypting Files
I take it you don't still have the first machine? Cause you could just unencrypt it then. Or export the keys and decrypt it on the target machine.

I've seen programs that say they can decrypt efs files with just the username and password, so maybe the efs certificate is generated just with these two bits. I would think it would also be generated with some hardware info too though, plus some raw random data. But from what I've seen they seem to work, never used them myself.

If you use efs much, you should google up how to export certificates. If you do that, export the recovery agent's key from the computer.

Note: If you have certificate services enabled in a domain, it will get the certificate from there.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds