Skip to main content

Small training linux

More
18 years 8 months ago #9848 by kiryuz
Small training linux was created by kiryuz
I once had access to a small linux distro called basic linux that helped me appreciate linux without formatting my drive
i was lean and small and run on a FAT partition

unfortuntetely i now have an NTFS formated partition and was wondering if there is something small i can carry along that will install and boot off it

Ive seen knoppix bt my CD drive is much too slow to run off it confortably

any clues for a similar distro pliz
More
18 years 7 months ago #9857 by cybersorcerer
Well, no linux distro to the date can run on an NTFS partition. You can always grab a program that emulates a fat32 environment so you can run linux within windows, but that is as close as your going to get. All that is possible is to create a RAM disk to push the operating system through without installing it on its own partition, which is what distro's like Knoppix do.

Unfortunetely, if you want practice with a modern distro, the systems for those live distro's need a lot to get up and running with the advanced hardware detection scripts, plus, it is pulling everything off the cd so it can become quite the bottleneck. Remember, you can grab any of those modern live distro's like Ubuntu or Knoppix and tell the kernel to boot to a straight tty session without x and that usually configures a lot faster then with X.

If anyone else has any better options, go ahead and give them because that is the best answer I can come up with for the time being.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
18 years 7 months ago #9873 by The_Berzerker
I would suggest trying out a distro like Damn Smalll Linux. It boots from the cd and then runs from the memory (if not mistaken) and it will be fast and provide u with everything that u need (except KDE or Gnome:))
Here's a list for all the LiveCDs available to download:
www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
Hope i helped
More
18 years 7 months ago #10059 by kiryuz
Replied by kiryuz on topic Re: Small training linux
Thanks 4 the info
that livecd site was a reat link too
bu tim thinking to give good ole salck a try with minislack this time
More
17 years 8 months ago #16149 by taqqi14
Replied by taqqi14 on topic Re: Small training linux
vmware is the best option for you.It can b installed on ur windows machine and will give u a whole linux redhat or other platforms interface while you can switch back n forth in windows and in linux at ur will.

Rgds

Taqqi
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds