Skip to main content

Simple Sendmail server

More
18 years 8 months ago #9584 by LooseCannon
Can anyone give me some step-by-step instructions or maybe point me to a good document on how to set up Sendmail on Redhat 9, or even just a generic Sendmail installation document.

All I need this to do is act as an SMTP server to forward mail from internal clients and also as a POP server. Although I am a little confused with the POP issue. Does SMTP even support POP or do I need to install a separate package for this?

This is basically just an afterthought in a project demo I am doing so I don't need to harden this server or anything, I just need it to act as an SMTP and POP server to internal clients.
More
18 years 8 months ago #9587 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Simple Sendmail server
Is there a specific reason you need to use Sendmail? If not, qmail is a superior application from many aspects, while easier to configure.

SMTP and POP3 are two completelly independend from each other protocols that make seperate jobs, so yes you'll need an additional application. Also, if you want to implement additional functionality like antispam/antivirus filtering, IMAP and virtual accounts, you'll need some other applications too!

Personally I am using qmail along with vpopmail , simscan , spamassassin , courier-imap and clamav in multiple setups, for about a year, with no issue.

If you decide to go with qmail, there are two well-known step-by step guides, qmailrocks and lifewithqmail , as well as a prefixed mail-suite, specifically for redhat-based distributions, qmailtoaster .

I don't think there is anything similar about Sendmail, however a good text about is the one from linuxhomenetworking, here .
More
18 years 8 months ago #9668 by LooseCannon
nske, thank you for the response! I will be checking out those docs. And no, it doesn't matter which email app I use. Just need a basic smtp and pop3 server. Thanks again.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds