Skip to main content

Changing Hardware

More
18 years 9 months ago #9521 by solojack
Changing Hardware was created by solojack
I installed Linux Suse 9.3. However I needed to replace the mouse for a trackball. When I changed it it causes that the system doesn't recognize the trackball at startup so I have to do it manually using yast every time I log in. How can Linux recognize the new hardware automacally at startup?
Similarly this has happend when I replace the monitor. :shock:
More
18 years 9 months ago #9531 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Changing Hardware
Things like the mouse and monitor behaviour at the desktop environment are defined at the configuration file of the X server, normally /etc/x11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/Xfree86.conf. More specifically, at the "InputDevice" section should be the mouse entries and at the "Monitor" and "Display" sections the entries related to the monitor and display settings.

Detailed information about the settings that you can define in each of these sections can be found at the man page of xorg.conf (or online here ), just make a backup copy of the file before you change it, since a mistake can result in the X server not starting!
You can also try the "xorgconfig" utility which will attempt to generate a configuration file based on your hardware (and some questions it's going to ask you).

Perhaps SUSE provides some graphical utility to modify these settings or automate the detection but I don't know.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds