Skip to main content

How to change localhost name

More
18 years 3 months ago #12738 by monsky
oops.. take note also of some services that looks up at the hostname like squid or alike, update the hostname option. otherwise you will be having a problem in running those services.
More
18 years 3 months ago #12754 by nske
Centralized configuration is one of the things that differ from distribution to distribution, so the '/etc/sysconfig/network' is not available to all linux distributions (should be in redhat-based however). Gentoo has a similar configuration file in /etc/conf.d/net, while in slackware you would edit "/etc/HOSTNAME". They are not as important differences as they may sound, these are just definition files that are included by some init script from /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) to pass the information to 'hostname' app that Sahir mentioned, so that they are preserved upon reboot.

Monsky's highlight is also important -if I got it right-, the machine should be able to resolve correctly the defined hostname through it's local resolver or certain services might fail or cause delays due to timeouts (noticeably the xfree86/xorg X11). You can edit /etc/hosts to address that.
More
18 years 3 months ago #12757 by monsky
yes nske, honestly i have been only following the suggestions in this thread, your suggestion to edit the /etc/hosts file to resolve the the services failure when changes in /etc/sysconfig/network has been made benefited me also. :lol:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds