Skip to main content

Bandwidth Controller

More
18 years 10 months ago #8943 by gatorengineer
Anyone know of a Bandwidth controller that is free for Linux or Windows?
More
18 years 10 months ago #8944 by randy
Replied by randy on topic Re: Bandwidth Controller
I have experimented with bandwidth limiting with Dummynet and FreeBSD. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. Here is a one of very few sites that explain it reasonably well.

www.bsdnews.org/02/dummynet.php
More
18 years 10 months ago #8949 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Bandwidth Controller
Sure thing - Linux versions 2.4.22 and above will fully support bandwidth limiting services without a problem.

I've actually successfully implemented such services for a number of customers using Linux Fedora Core 1 and 3.

We actually plan on covering bandwidth management at some point as its a major chapter and something that requires a lot of studying and work in order to get working correctly.

Basically you create discipline queues (qdisc) and and classes which are used in conjunction with various bandwidth management algorithms ( HTB, CBQ e.t.c) to provide the management you require.

In addition, IPTables comes into the game to help mark specific packets which need to be treated in a different manner such as high priority.

Here are some references - they might not make any sense if this is the first time your reading up on the topic:

luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm

www.linux.com/howtos/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/index.shtml

If there are specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds