Skip to main content

Windows to linux migration - advice please

More
19 years 1 week ago #8217 by Ranger24
Hi,

I have a couple of windows 2000 servers that are making my head spin! I am considering converting one to linux and need some advice as to which distro would fit best.

I have very limited unix skills (just above none!) and when set up the server must be able to provide the following services:

1) DHCP Server (able to allocate addresses to many different segments via several DHCP relays)

2) Radius Server (Terminate PPPoE sessons and Authenticate)

3) Mulitcast Server

4) Web Server

5) DNS

If possible I would like to be able to manage all function via a GUI as the other memebers of my team have NO unix skills so point & click would make my life easier.

Advice????

br

Pete

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
19 years 1 week ago #8224 by Cheetah
Hi

Use any distro you like. Try managing it using www.webmin.com/ Just my 0.02 cents.

\Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
19 years 6 days ago #8238 by sahirh
The choice of distro won't matter too much though I would suggest Debian for ease of use of package management.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 days ago #8241 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic More questions
Would it be possible to use a LiveCD Distro?

Seems to me if there was one (or if there is a way to create one) that matches my needs I'd have a perfect solution....Windows 2000 or Linux just by inserting a CD.

I don't suppose anyone can point me to resource that explain how I would go about this......

maybe I am running before I can walk ;-)

Thanks!

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
19 years 5 days ago #8248 by sahirh
You could use a LiveCD for a test environment but by and large I think you should go with a full hard disk installed distro...

Or even a knoppix hard disk install should work fine.. its like a simple way to get Debian going.

Cheers

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 18 hours ago #8294 by MaXiMuS
Hi,
I don't think that a Live cd would be a good solution for your environment, not to mention the "gazzillions" of amount of RAM you'd require to run all your services , if it is possible in the first place !! :D
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds