Skip to main content

linux and ntfs----new to linux---

More
19 years 3 months ago #7157 by davidklose
i am new to linux, a friend convinced me to give it a try. So i downloaded fedora core 3 but before i install it, i would like to know if it can be installed on a ntfs drive.
thanks for your time
davidklose
More
19 years 3 months ago #7158 by jhun
hi

although i'm also new to linux but i think that linux has its own file system (ext3, etc) and would delete ntfs and install its own filesystem. although linux has an advantage since it is also able to read ntfs file structures.

i think our linux gurus have more say to this than me.. :D but this is just my thought...
More
19 years 3 months ago #7165 by sahirh
Linux does not use NTFS as a filesystem... it uses ext2 / ext3 or other filesystems.. it can still access NTFS file systems.

NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft filesystem.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #7170 by davidklose
thanks for the info...
now my problem seems i cant boot from my dvd drive.
any suggestions?
davidklose

i have my dvd drive as secondar master, does anyone know how to get it to boot? when i get into de bios, the drive that appears as an option to boot is de cdrom (primary slve), but not the dvddrive.
Help here
More
19 years 3 months ago #7173 by MezzUp
There are different bootup sequence layouts:
1) The BIOS/CMOS gives you the name of the devices(WD HD, Samsung CD...)
2) The BIOS just allows you to select what type of device to boot first from. (HDD-0, CD-ROM). In that case, you would select CD-ROM and the BIOS would try to boot from any DVD/CD drive(in a specific order). Is that what was consufing you?

But...
Why not just boot from your CD drive?

Are you sure you burnend the .iso image correctly to CD? That is, not write the .iso image onto a regular CD, but choose something like "Burn image to CD"
More
19 years 3 months ago #7174 by davidklose
i downloaded de dvd iso, and yes, it was burnt as an image.
i have a cdr drive and a dvd drive.
ill try putting cdrom, i hope it works.
thanks for your time
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds