Skip to main content

Fedora RedHat

More
19 years 7 months ago #5217 by thompsg
Fedora RedHat was created by thompsg
Hi Guys.. Somewhat new to linux.. Took a course in my networking course in college a couple years ago and nothing since..

download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/iso/

I want to dl fedora from that link.... However I'm confused as to which link I should dl and when I do dl it... what I should do with it.

I notice there are four discs... but one is SRPMS and one isn't.. so what does SRPMS mean?

Also I've dled the ISO before and I open it up on the PC and its all *.RPM files

I'm confused... if someone can help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance..
More
19 years 7 months ago #5218 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Fedora RedHat
Hey thompsg,

You typically don't need srpms, they contain the source code for all the software. RPM is an archive format that contains the compiled files of programs and some information for the Redhat's Package Manager (the program that Fedora uses to manage installed software) that define where to install the program-documentation files, what other files to modify or commands to execute thereafter (to ensure the successful installation) and other information needed for dependencies, versioning, etc. The rpms that you choose in the installation will be installed through the wizzard so you don't have to worry about it. :)

PS. Personally I hate redhat and rpm :P
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds