Skip to main content

Preference for a particular Linux distribuition for a Firewa

More
21 years 5 months ago #446 by drcstang
Does anyone have a particular preference for a Linux ditribution to use as a firewall. I have VERY basic needs and I am new to the world of Linux. Planning on trying out a Linux firewall as my DSL gateway here at home to try setting Linux up as a server/firewall. Wanted to know if there were distributions better suited than others for this sort of thing? My only Linux experience is with a current edition of Red Hat running on one of my clients.

Thanks!
[img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
More
21 years 5 months ago #447 by Chris
Hi there DRCStang,

If what your after is a simple Linux distro which will act as a firewall, then you should perhaps check out Smoothwall. www.smoothwall.org/
Smoothwall is a "custom" linux distro which has been created for people like you, who simply want a linux firewall, with a nice GUI accessable via your web browser [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The ISO download is about 20 mb's and its free !!

Let us know how it went ! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 4 months ago #448 by T-BoNe
Can't beat OpenBSD with IPTables and Masq IMHO
More
21 years 4 months ago #449 by Chris
IP Tables rocks !!

Cheers,
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 11 months ago #450 by drcstang
Well, I thought I would report back to anyone that might read this post in the future. I have successfully installed Smoothwall. It does exactly what it advertises, provides a small easily configured basic firewall. I originally installed an older version, but with limited success (later discovered that my NIC was bad). I have now installed the latest beta version and it works almost flawlessly.

Of course I can never be satisfied with leaving well enough alone...I discovered that the firewall was pingable from the outside. I have DSL which seems to get constantly scanned, so I thought it would be best to have a firewall that was not pingable. Unfortunately, from Smoothwall's web administration page you can not disable ICMP (or at least I couldn't figure out how). So, armed with virtually no knowledge of Linux, I ventured into the world of IP tables. After one night of hacking and research on the web, I was able to successfully change the IP tables that Smoothwall uses to drop all ICMP packets from the PPP adapter. Awesome!

While I had been having problems with Smoothwall (as I said they weren't really problems with Smoothwall, but my hardware), I discovered some other cool Linux firewall solutions. The most notable was Astaro. It does basically what Smoothwall does, but with many more configuration options. Unfortunately when I tried to install Astaro, I ran into problems which I believe were from that same damn NIC card... By the time I figured out it was hardware giving me problems, I had switched back to the Smoothwall. I haven't personally tried it, but probably will sooner or later.

But anyway, you can check it out at www.astaro.com/ . They have an online demo which looks pretty cool and appears to be very configurable. Also, it might be worth noting that Astaro has open source and proprietary components although is free for personal us. Meanwhile Smoothwall has a completely open source version and a commercial version (not free) for more advanced features (i.e. more VPN options).

The bottom line is Smoothwall works and I agree...

IP Tables rocks !!

Dan Cunningham
DRCStang
More
20 years 11 months ago #451 by machine_type
Hello,

I have heard (never actually seen) that after each update Smoothwall will revert back to it's default firewall rules. Can anybody say this is true or untrue?

Other firewalls include:

Mandrake Network Firewall

ipcop is my favorite. They were a split from Smoothwall. They just released a new version 1.3.0 with support for iptables.

Hope this helps
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds