Skip to main content

GUI on server

More
15 years 2 months ago #29032 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: GUI on server
...Andddddddddddddd the point of my post was to ask you guys what you think about my "theory"? :-D
More
15 years 2 months ago #29069 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic mhmmmmmmmmm
well killab33...well

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 8 months ago #31599 by hyagami
Replied by hyagami on topic Re: GUI on server
:wink: no one install GUI in zhe server,even not use with zhe mouse
More
14 years 8 months ago #31611 by factory909
Replied by factory909 on topic Re: GUI on server
same here brother! but i do have X installed on our freebsd..it doesnt have a monitor or mouse, but i just forward X through ssh.

:wink: no one install GUI in zhe server,even not use with zhe mouse

More
14 years 7 months ago #32263 by beexo
Replied by beexo on topic Re: GUI on server
If you know all the comand line commands and all switches and options of the linux world...well you are a god. So I have to say that GUI makes my life somewhat easier.

I dont think that the GUI is the problem, but what you do with it.
More
14 years 7 months ago #32268 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: GUI on server
There are no "rules" when running Linux. You run Linux how you need it ran, not for status. If your looking to build a server that you will SSH into and run some services, than the CLI will suffice. If your looking to add multiple programs, and use every day applications but still need the CLI on the side, the GUI is perfect.

We really need to look at the functionality of the OS, not the 'status' or 'rules'. No such thing as breaking a law or committing a sin for building out a Linux box to fit YOUR needs. After all, you're building the box for yourself or a client.

If a Linux guru gives you grief for installing a GUI and not using full CLI means nothing. Think about it, if you ask him to run a firewall with full CLI or configure a BGP router from scratch ...or even code a specified driver he'll be stumped. Why? Because everybody has strengths and weaknesses. He might only use CLI in Linux, but has to use GUI on firewalls ect ect. You will never find a gEEk who knows it all, if you do send him my way. I would love to meet him.

LESS GRIEF AND STATUS, MORE SHARING KNOWLEDGE!

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds