Skip to main content

Help with install, HD, and GRUB

More
20 years 2 months ago #2866 by Milamber
Lo all...Well for awhile on this box I've been running Windows XP and RH9...Now for some reason I felt like doing a complete reinstall of RH...So I deleted the old one from it's partition, and did all the usual crap (making a swap partition etc), but the install stuffed up...And now everytime I go to boot it comes up to the grub screen, and as I've had no previous experience with grub, I wouldn't have a clue what to do? How would I get it to boot directly into my NTFS partition, completely skipping the grub boot loader screen? I've tried going back in to the RH installation program, but I can't get any further and it keeps pausing, and also it says something about bad blocks on that partition..Now I don't really have much of an idea how to fix any of this...And I can't find my windows CD to boot off...So any help would be greatly appreciated...

...More on the grub note, I'm not really sure why GRUB Is coming up, especially seeing as though I specified LILO as my boot loader during the install, and that's what it was before I started messing around with it...I also chose my NTFS partition as the default to boot into, but at the moment it seems to have completely forgotten what windows is (which I guess can't be too bad ;) )..

..I won't have to edit like my boot.ini files or anything in windows, to force that OS to boot will I? I was thinking of just trying to obtain a program like partition majic, and completely wipe anything *nix related, because even though I deleted the partition ext3 on hda2, under the RH9 Disk Druid, it still shows up each time I go into it...Any ideas? Thanks

Peace
More
20 years 2 months ago #2868 by sahirh
Hmm, you can look here
www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/html_mono/grub.html
www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

you can try and wipe out the nix partition using partition magic. or find some way to boot into linux (using a boot floppy or a knoppix cd) and check the grub settings.

Otherwise you need to get XP to overwrite the GRUB boot loader with its own bootloader

sorry i'm a little short on time to go into a full explanation right now, but the links I've given you above should give you an idea of the diretion yuo've gotta go.

Good Luck..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2871 by Milamber
Alright thanks a lot Sahirh...I've got the day off today so I'll start having a look at it soon...Yes I'd say you've provided me enough information to get me heading in the right direction...ty :)..

..EDit: Alright, well I've taken a different approach for starters (just because I NEED to access some of the files which are on my NTFS partition)...I booted into rescue mode from the RH CD, and did mkdir /mnt/windows ... Then I tried mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1/mnt/windows , but I just got some error about /etc/fstab, saying no such file or directory...Bah I really need to find the windows rescue CD heh
More
20 years 2 months ago #2919 by MaXiMuS
hey milamber ,
in a default RH9 installation , u cannot mount a NTFS partition , for that u need to recompile the kernel , but in ur case i doubt u'd consider doing that :P .....

im not sure wether u have the windows path defined in grub , so u could enter linux with the rescue mode , make changes to grub.conf and then see if things work out , or else if u really want ur lilo back , use the linux cd to run the installation again , but uncheck all packages , simply install the boot loader.....

If all fails , i suppose u'll have to get hold of a boot cd ......
More
19 years 9 months ago #4602 by imonfya
or you can also find a copy of FDISK and boot to command prompt and run the command "FDISK /MBR" or iit might be /MDR....

it resets the boot loader back to microsoft's bootloader
More
19 years 9 months ago #4618 by sahirh
Best way is to just find the Windows CD and use the Recovery Console.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds