Skip to main content

Per user and IP bandwidth allocation

More
16 years 8 months ago #23046 by nimeshpancholi
Hi All,

I have googled a lot about this, but found no clue. I have 512 kbps bandwidth. I want that, a xyz user can not use more than 25 kbps. What it means is, allocating particular user with particular bandwidth so he/she can not exceed his/her allocated bandwidth. Is there a way to accomplish this with any linux based distribution.

Thanks,
Nimesh
More
16 years 8 months ago #23047 by nimeshpancholi
sorry for replying my post. Just wanted to tell that I am looking for solution other than squid. Bandwidth allocation to users will vary as per requirement.

Thanks,
Nimesh
More
16 years 8 months ago #23051 by nske
Each of your users will only use his own computer? Do you have to use user account credentials as a unique identifier for your plan or can you use the source IP addresses?

In the first case you can use the TC utility that comes with Iproute2 , like described here and here . You might find convenient to use netfilter (through iptables) to match and mark the packets depending on their originating address.

In the second case, you might find the NuFW project helpful (you will still need familiarity with iptables/iproute2 however).

PS. Here's also two projects that attempt to provide a GUI for iproute's Traffic Control -though I'm not sure whether they would make things easier or more complex-:

- MasterShaper
- Easyshape
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds