Skip to main content

Gnome Suse 9.3 crash on init command

More
16 years 11 months ago #21980 by RhymingObituary
Hi All,

I've dabbled in and out of linux for quite some time now but never to any great detail.

Anyhow, I've decided to have another bash this time with the 9.3 Suse distro.

I've got everything up and running but I'm trying to enable 3d acceleration on my Geforce 4 FX5200. I've downloaded the Nvidia Patch through YAST (I've even updated it a couple of times but to no effect).

Every time I attempt to activate 3d acceleration with the GUI version of Sax it says I need to download the latest nvidia drivers again.

I've read around and understand that I may need to close my X session in order to configure sax properly and complete installation of the drivers. When I try changing my run level to init 2 or 3 however, Gnome just completely hangs leaving me with my wallpaper and nothing else at all. No commands or keypresses seem to work.

Short of re-installing and trying with KDE I'm completely stumped.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Pete.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21983 by S0lo
If your fed up with every thing, try Open Suse 10.2. which is the latest version so far. Such incompatibilities could have been resolved.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 11 months ago #21990 by RhymingObituary
Well as per your advice, I've gone up to 10.0, I know it's not 10.2 but my mate had the disk to hand.

Seems that some other people have had problems with the Nvidia driver install through yast 2.0 aswell, apprently it might be some problem with it only downloading a bash script which isn't working correctly.

Anyhow, I've tried downloading and installing manually which is alot simpler than the last time I checked. Looks like I need to have my kernel source installed and configured (I'm assuming it needs to be run through make) and lo and behold, the 10.0 dvd I have doesn't include GCC of all things!!!!

I'm gonna have another bash this evening, so here's hoping.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds