Skip to main content

Want to get into Unix

More
17 years 3 months ago #19573 by shadowman724
As French is my second language, i personally used Mandrake. Then I discovered Suse. I enjoyed its GUI and it ships with a lot of softwares.
I did not use Ubuntu because of the way it manages packages. Since i used to install RPMs, i got the habit.
So my advice is to follow a path like this one:
Mandrake/Suse --> Redhat -->Slacks
it is just a choice.

"We will either find a way or make one"-- Hannibal
More
17 years 3 months ago #19686 by st17670
Replied by st17670 on topic Unix - Linux
I think Debian distributions are nice for their packaging system and stability. I find Gentoo takes way too long to build a system just to gain a few seconds. If you want to learn I suggest you go with Arch for it is simple and it uses a nice packaging system.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19762 by Starfire
Replied by Starfire on topic Re: Want to get into Unix

I personally prefer Slackware, but you'd be better starting off with Ubuntu , which is very easy to install and also allows you to mess around if you wish. You'd also be better off using VMWare server rather than Virtual Server, as it has better support for Linux as a guest OS. Also check out the Bishop's post on his experiences while installing Ubuntu

So how does this work? Do you install Ubuntu from my xp desktop? This sounds more like a full blown OS rather than an emulation you can run under XP.

Does this VM server provide a virtual machine I can then install Ubuntu in?
More
17 years 3 months ago #19807 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Want to get into Unix
Yes, Vmware emulates all the hardware a typical computer has, allowing you to create virtual computers on which you can install anything.

Vmware is very good software and should suit you well for installing any OS. You can also check Qemu which is open source and will do the job just as well :)
More
17 years 2 months ago #20164 by Starfire
Replied by Starfire on topic Re: Want to get into Unix

Yes, Vmware emulates all the hardware a typical computer has, allowing you to create virtual computers on which you can install anything.

Vmware is very good software and should suit you well for installing any OS.

Agree..... but .... Make sure you have a lot of memory 1gb-2gb

Uasable with 768 but noticably slow.

BTW: VMServer then install ubuntu is surprisingly easy to be up and running. Takes a while but very easy.

See Dalight's post for the links to all you need to get up and running.
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds