Skip to main content

Fedora Core 6

More
17 years 4 months ago #18935 by donanak
Fedora Core 6 was created by donanak
Fellow men,
I just got my hands on FC 6 from a Linux Format Mag. I picked it up during my pursue to get lunch from the local shops.

What I want to know is has anyone used it so far? How solid is it compared to other distros like Gentoo, Debian and Suse.

If you have used or installed it and like or dislike FC 6 share your opinion here.

I have long used Red Hat until it went "too Commercial". But Red Hat 9 is still my favourite distro but as time went on I decided to taste the Fedora Cores and other distro.

Share and learn ...

A smart person knows what to say, but a wise person knows whether or not to say it.

'When perfection comes, the imperfect disappear.'
More
17 years 4 months ago #18939 by LooseCannon
Replied by LooseCannon on topic Re: Fedora Core 6
Hi donanak,

I haven't used FC 6 yet but have used 3, 4, and 5 quite a lot. I prefer Gentoo over FC as I like the packaging system (portage) a lot better and find it generally is more stable than FC.

If you still prefer the Redhat/Fedora brand you should check out CentOS. It is essentially Redhat ES without any of the branding in it so you can download it free. I recently installed it on a new server here at work as some monitoring software I need to install requires Redhat ES. So CentOS does the trick without having to drop a couple grand on the OS.

Fedora is more of a "desktop" linux in my opinion. So I guess it really boils down to what you are gonna be using it for.
More
17 years 4 months ago #18940 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Fedora Core 6
I can second the comments about CentOS. I have used it as well and it is 100% binary compatible with Redhat apart from the fact that they are required to remove any Redhat branding from the packages as well as from their website. They basically compile publically available Redhat sources after removing any branding.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19521 by smitherton
Replied by smitherton on topic Re: Fedora Core 6
I am using FC6 now and I love it. A LOT easier to install than Gentoo (imo) and it is a little more friendlier than CentOS. AGLX is built int so using Beryl is a breeze. But if you are wanting a solid system without any eye candy than CentOS 4.x by all means.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19581 by akram565
Replied by akram565 on topic Re: Fedora Core 6
thanks alot
More
17 years 2 months ago #19967 by saidfrh
Replied by saidfrh on topic Heads Up.
I have installed FC6. After installation, I was alerted by the OS to download and install patches and upgrades. I installed 100+ patches and upgrades as suggested by the OS alert. Now, when playing audio Cds the computer freezes. I have not been able to rectify the matter. The CDs worked fine before the upgrades.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds