Skip to main content

802.1Q tagging to DHCP server running on Linux box

More
17 years 4 months ago #18663 by LooseCannon
Hey guys, I haven't been to the site in prolly over a year (forgot all about it to be honest ;)). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has much experience with running 802.1Q tagging to a Linux server. I work for a local ISP here and recently I have been in the process of getting a new gateway server ready to replace the old one. In initial tests we have had huge problems with the LAN facing NIC responsible for DHCP.

The card has about 40 VLANs configure for it (i.e. eth1.50, eth1.51, etc). Tonight I plan to change both NICs on the server to D-Link Gigabit NICs as I believe the problem has to do with the eth1 NIC somehow.

The problems that occur are high latency and packet loss as soon as significant traffic is introduced to the server. I hope this is just a problem with the old NIC in the server but it would be nice to know if there are any other issues related to 802.1Q tagging and Linux I should be aware of.

Cheers,
LC
More
17 years 4 months ago #18736 by LooseCannon
Well it appears the new NICs I put in are doing the job. Lesson learned. If you ever want to put a significant amount of VLANs and traffic through a Linux box make sure you are using gigabyte NICs, even if the connection is only 100MB ;).
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds