Skip to main content

SATA HDD not detecting while installing Linux

More
17 years 5 months ago #18291 by dada
Hi,

Ha r all of ya. yeah, am fine. I have an issue. While installing RedHat Linux 9 my SATA HDD is not detecting. I do have the following specifications:

SATA HDD -- PRIMARY MASTER -- 80 GB

IDE HDD -- SECONDARY SLAVE -- 40 GB

Waitin for your appreciable suggesstions.

Thanks & Regards,

DADA :D

Thanks & Regards,

DADA
More
17 years 5 months ago #18297 by jhun
hi dada,

as far as i know, rh9 was developed years ago before the the released of SATA drives.
would there be a reason for installing rh9? i suggest that you opt for a higher version like RH enterprise or fedora core 5 or 6 as these support sata drives. also for a more challenging distro you could try slackware 10.2 or 11, both support sata drives...
More
17 years 4 months ago #18827 by Unforgiven
I had the same problem once installing Debian. It supposedly was possible to make a custom installer that would support it, but it wasn't worth the hassle at the time, so I just went with Ubuntu (Debian with a little polish, really).

So basically I agree with the above, it's just a matter of it being a newer, more recent distro and therefore supporting newer hardware.

If there's one thing I hate, it's everything.
More
17 years 4 months ago #18868 by gainil
Hi Dada,

Some days back I too had faced this problem, I had posted the query on firewall.cx. I am posting you the reply. I was not able to do as I am very new to Linux and could not understand. Hope it is of some help to you. Also let me know if u are able to achieve that.

www.firewall.cx/ftopict-2930-.html

Regards

gainil
More
17 years 4 months ago #19006 by SmartDude
Ok Frens,
Problem is solved now. Installing CentOS on Intel 965 board with SATA is due to problem of IDE (CDROM).

Solution: Install from Network. That's it.

Hurray

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
17 years 4 months ago #19007 by cybersorcerer
Next time the problem occurs try tweaking some bios settings, if it allows you. The settings you want to mess with are the advanced settings for IDE devices. Disable DMA and force the cd-rom (or it's respective controller) to only use PIO. It's slower, but it will most likely fix the problem.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds