Skip to main content

IP address of skype contacts

More
17 years 5 months ago #18175 by aminos
Hi everybody,

Just a simple question, I am using slackware Linux I want just to know how to know the ip address of the contact users with whom i am chatting, I read somewhere we can use the netstat command to do this butu i don't know how !
actually the same question apply to the winXP system !
so if u have any idea & thanks in advance.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18176 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic IP addresses
hi,
just to do away with the confusion, netstat does not give you any IP address information. this command line syntax gives you a detailed information of the ports that are being used on your computer by the TCP/IP stack.
regarding skype and IP addresses, if you are not directly connected to some user on skype, you wont be able to check their IP addresses. even then, if you or the other user is behind NAT or a firewall, the IP addresses would be masked.
so in short, it's difficult to obtain an IP address of the user.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #18179 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: IP addresses

hi,
just to do away with the confusion, netstat does not give you any IP address information. this command line syntax gives you a detailed information of the ports that are being used on your computer by the TCP/IP stack.

Thats not quite correct, if you do a netstat (well on Windows XP, don't know about nix), it does give the port information but this will also detail the foreign and source IP Address information that has the IP/Port mapping to your computer.

If you look at this netstat off my machine, you will notice a connection from my machine 10.11.200.2 on port 2069 to 204.157.10.72 on port 80. Further down i do a nslookup on www.firewall.cx which give me the same ip address 204.157.10.72 so that line in the netstat is the socket information of my connection to this site. (Ignore the DNS Timeouts, thats because my firewall kicked in so i had to allow the nslookup access)

As Arani quite rightly said though, as far as i am aware, since Skype uses P2P technologies to route the traffic, you may not actually see the direct connection with the socket information from the IP/Port mapping that NetStat would generate. Also, the Nat may also cause issues.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18180 by donanak
And FYI, if you're behind a firewall/NAT yourself netstat will not be able to output direct connections.

Just my 2 cents

A smart person knows what to say, but a wise person knows whether or not to say it.

'When perfection comes, the imperfect disappear.'
More
17 years 5 months ago #18181 by Smurf
Oh, and if you were wondering why there are 0.0.0.0 addresses, this simply means that the service (application, deamon, or whatever you call it) that is listening on that port, is listening on all IP Addresses that are on the machine (if you have more then one then it will be mapping to the port on all of them).

e.g.

If i had a webserver with ip addresses 10.10.10.1, 10.10.10.2, 10.10.10.3, 10.10.10.4 and i had an entry that said 0.0.0.0:80 on the source address that was "Listening". This means that IIS (Apache or whatever your Webservice was) would be listening on all 4 address on port 80.

Also, if you do a NetStat with the -o option (for Windows XP/2003 Server) then you will see the Process ID's also so you can then map it to the service that was listening. This is also good if you think you have a Trojan or the like to help identify it.

Hope that makes sense.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18183 by Arani
kudos to smurf for pointing out what i had missed on netstat. i had ignored that part of info provided by the netstat command.
thanks smurf. it all comes back to me now.
cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds