Skip to main content

Ububtu

More
17 years 8 months ago #16043 by TheBishop
Ububtu was created by TheBishop
Some of you might remember one of my earlier posts relating the pain of a linux newbie. Well, after much persuasive preaching by the reverend Dalight I just loaded up the latest release of Ubuntu (6.06).
I'm not an enthusiast; Linux to me is a tool because it hosts some superb networking and security software that you can't get under Windows. What I want from a Linux installation is an easy to install, well-behaved platform that doesn't require you to know arcane phrases from some dead language whenever you want to reconfigure something and which makes it dead easy to install, upgrade and maintain the apps of your choice. And you know what? Ubuntu 6.06 is close. Scarily close. Install was a breeze (apart from a problem if you try to install it into Microsoft Virtual PC and inaccurate documentation 'explaining' how to fix said problem), and as soon as it booted for the first time it updated itself off the internet! Not only that, but you can select the apps you want from a list, it goes off and downloads them, then it installs them, along with all the stupid dependencies previous distros have assumed I must automatically know about, completely automatically and with no command line in sight.
I'm impressed. Has anyone else given this distro a go yet?
More
17 years 8 months ago #16046 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Ububtu
Hey Bishop,
I've been supporting Ubuntu from the start...
I believe that it's one of the most promising distros as it offers everything and is very easy to use....
Two thumbs up for Ubuntu :D and its derivatives (Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu)
More
17 years 8 months ago #16080 by BYte69
Replied by BYte69 on topic Ubuntu
I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu with this release. Also look at a good tool for it called automatix. It will install most the the software and plugins you could need. (realplayer, flash, win32 codecs etc.)

Here is the website:

www.getautomatix.com/

That includes some extra security tools.

BYte69
More
17 years 8 months ago #16128 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic Re: Ububtu
I've tried both Ubuntu 6.06 and Mepis 6, and much prefer Mepis.

Uses same repositories, but on my hardware just works better.

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 3 months ago #19477 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Ubuntu
Ubuntu saved my marriage!
More
17 years 2 months ago #19979 by wannafly172
Replied by wannafly172 on topic Re: Ububtu
Sounds like fun... i really havent had much good with linux. Games are def not ment for it.LOL

"Buddha says, "Know your forms of linux: Mandrake, SUSE, Linspire, Xandros, Lycoris, MEPIS, Fedora Core, and Ubuntu""

It is my job to corrupt young people with the contageous, infectious idea of individual freedom
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds