Skip to main content

unix or Linux

More
18 years 1 month ago #13802 by johnwong11
unix or Linux was created by johnwong11
Hi, I am going to take a course on either Linux or Unix, what is the difference, any opinion? I never know neither one of these two OS.
I heard both are very similar, can anyone give me any suggestion.
More
18 years 1 month ago #13804 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic unix and linux
hi
summer of 1969, Bell Laps developed a OS which was capable of running several batch jobs at the same time. Unix was born. the requirement was from 1957, but they finally made it in 1969.

this event is also celebrated in Bryan Adam's Song "Summer of '69" (hehe that's supposed to be a joke :lol: )

unix is the father of linux. linus torvalds the developer of linux, a finnish guy (from finland, pretty obvious) was also born in 1969. 1991 he formally launched the OS Linux (LINus UniX - LINUX).

if you thoroughly go through Unix first, Linux would be a piece of cake for you, as the the latter is based on the former.

professionally having indepth knowledge of Unix is very beneficial, as many organizations maintain Unix networks, as it is also a networked OS, and it is very stable. knowing Linux is considered to be an added advantage.
i would suggest you go for unix, you can learn linux on your own, its not that hard. i did that myself.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 1 month ago #13836 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: unix or Linux
I agree with Arani's recommendation, UNIX course sounds more complete and right -though, to be honest, I'm not sure how thorough could the knowledge offered in a training course be.

I just want to add a historicall correction on his sayings, it was actually Richard Stallman that designed in 1983 the GNU OS (what we today refer to as {INSERT_DISTIBUTION_NAME} Linux OS) and developed mostly every part of it by 1990. Linus, conveniently, happened to be developing a kernel on the same spirit of free software right then, so it was merged.. and GNU/Linux was born :)
More
18 years 1 month ago #13838 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic oops
sorry about that, i didn't consult anything before writing all that, so i might be slightly off the target. but as far as studying unix before linux goes, i will still go by it, and nske agrees with this strategy too.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds