Skip to main content

About joining NewsGroup

More
19 years 10 months ago #4240 by tmd
About joining NewsGroup was created by tmd
Hi!
I clicked on this link news:microsoft.public.exchange.applications for joining. I window pop up asking for my email. After that it asked for my email. I provided that then It asked for NNTP server. Here i got stuch and i don't have any clew what to do. Can u help me in this matter. What is that ? and how i can proceed to join the newsgroup
More
19 years 10 months ago #4243 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: About joining NewsGroup
TMD ---

Newsgroups are a lost and forgotten technology and a wealth of resources! I use them often. NNTP stands for “Network News Transfer Protocol”, most ISP’s offer them but they are not a money maker so they are being dropped, for those who are unable to access them because there ISP’s don’t offer them you can subscribe to them thru 3rd party sites such as: www.usenetmonster.com www.giganews.com www.thenewsgroups.com and many more, get on Google and do a search for newsgroups.

There are bigger companies that offer there own newsgroups such as Microsoft and Symantec, there are two different ways to access or “subscribe” to these services from these two companies mentioned.

1) Access thru the web:
Microsoft: communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

2) Access thru a newsgroup reader:
news.microsoft.com
news.symantec.com

A news reader is the tool that allows you to access these like a web browser allow you to access Firewall or any other website or like a FTP client allows you to access FTP sites.
Here again are plenty of newsgroup readers available such as:

Forte Agent - www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Xnews - xnews.newsguy.com/
News Bin Pro - www.newsbin.com/
News Rover (this is what I use) - www.newsrover.com/
Also Outlook Express and Netscape offer a newsgroup client already included.

Remember most News Servers will require a username and password; however Microsoft and Symantec are open and free. Just add the news settings (ie: news.microsoft.com) your name and email address and that’s it.

That should get you started.

Good Luck.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4253 by tmd
Replied by tmd on topic Re: About joining NewsGroup
Thanks Jack for your kind help. Wish u always be there to help other. Great Job
More
19 years 10 months ago #4254 by tmd
Replied by tmd on topic Re: About joining NewsGroup
Hi Jack
This might seems to be irrelevant but, I want to get information about it. I checked out the newsgroups. They are all paid sites. One should required to purchase one of account type they offer. I don't want to be fool to give them my credit card info. How i sould trust some one on internet and what about the validity that they will not misuse my information. Please give me some detail about how this whole process occurs. How they get to know that it is a valid account even some one is sitting miles away in some different country. What if some one use misuse his/her information. How he can stop the transaction.
Thanks
More
19 years 10 months ago #4259 by Jack
TMD –

Very good questions, unfortunately this will be a judgment call on your behalf on who you give your money to. But I can offer some advice, when dealing with on line internet business and your money, always be alert as you are because you are asking. As the saying states: “A fool and his money are soon departed”.

• Try to deal with well know and established business.
• If you’re not sure ask a buddy if they have dealt with or knowledge of that business.
• See if they offer a landline voice number that you can call and call it; make sure it’s not just a recorder but a live person.
• When using their webpage, ensure it has the “lock” at the bottom of your browser or the web page link starts with: https as opposed to: http. Https is secured.
• Make sure your browser has the latest security updates; the latest for Internet Explorer is 128 Bit.

I can tell you that I personally have dealt with www.usenetbinaries.com/ but only using there free service. I have used www.corenews.com/ as a pay customer.
I have a friend who currently uses: www.easynews.com/ for about 2 years.

Usenet and Easy News are web based which is cool. Core News uses a Newsgroup Client, which is robust and not pretty, these pay service can offer over 100K plus newsgroups where ISP’s my use about 20-30K.

Hope this helps you out some.

Good Luck.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4260 by Jack
TMD --

One other thing I forgot to state is Google offers reading access to the News Groups, text only but if thats what your looking for it's there.

www.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
www.jacksjunk.com
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds