now is the time for IPV6

More
More
13 years 2 months ago #36212 by TheBishop
We're doomed!
More
13 years 2 months ago #36213 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: now is the time for IPV6
Thats sad but major news sose. Thanks for posting.

It's also sad that IPv6 is simply incompatible with IPv4, Which means that for a complete upgrade to be done, almost every thing in all networks has to be upgraded including all layer 3 and above devices, routers, firewalls, servers.. etc. Multiple upgrade migration plans has been thought of years ago, so much talk into what plan is better than the other. The bulk of known networks in the developed countries are still way behind even an initial upgrade, leave alone the developing countries. The following link contains a world map showing the number of IPv6 allocations done upto date:

www.ipv6actnow.org/info/statistics/#asns

When TheBishop said "doomed", he wasn't kidding I guess. Well at least for the near future.

One irony here, is that some developing countries that are well behind in their internet infrastructure, might be in better shape now to go for IPv6 because they simply don't have that much to upgrade, they can take IPv6 from the start.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 2 months ago #36228 by TheBishop
S0lo's right; I wasn't kidding. I expect quite a few things to get broken during what can only be a long and painful transition. The good (or maybe not so good) news though is that I expect islands of IPv4 will still be around for a very long time even if the main interconnecting networks go IPv6. One thing's for sure; we live in interesting times. Something to tell the grandchildren perhaps...
More
13 years 2 months ago #36230 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: now is the time for IPV6
This what came to my mind when i read TheBishop's comment "We're doomed!"

always Face your Fears...
More
13 years 2 months ago #36231 by TheBishop
Wow, I didn't realise my photo was all over the internet!
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds