Skip to main content

Need for new topics in Knowledgebase

More
13 years 11 months ago #34602 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Hi Chris,
I was thinking, maybe we need a more broken down hierarchical structure on the Windows side of things e.g. maybe a section for Mail Clients, and then one for Operating systems (both client and server), so on and so forth.
The Cisco section section might need some distinctive headings as well, i.e. a section for switches, one for routers, one for the old pixs and one for the new ASA, so on and so forth.

I do realise this might need a bit of restructure of the menu driven system, and might be a bit of a bother for you, considering you have just come out of a bigger update and maintenance of the site.

But I thought, I'd rather let you know how I visualised the menu system to be like.

This is a just a suggestion, :idea:

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 11 months ago #34603 by Nevins
I think we should employ a wiki that users can "request subject info" which can be updated by our users. Also an IRC channel embedded into the website would be of great use. One thing thats great about this site is people come here to learn and the share knowledge. However there are also those that come here to simply be told what to do in order to have their immediate problem be immediately solved and want free tech support from "The Site For Networking Professionals" and even though thats clearly not the path to networking enlightenment often we take pity and help anyways. The only thing is often times the question has been answered many many times before and had the user found the thread with their problem within the forums their problem would require less effort in order to sort out. Also video media conveys info very well and some people have issues reading though a page of text to pull out a small piece of information.

TL;DNR

We should get a IRC & a wiki and fill it with info and media. Because it makes communication easier.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 11 months ago #34607 by Chris
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions - they are always taken seriously into account.

The Windows and Cisco section will be eventually broken down into sub-sections, however, because the material covered right now isn't a lot, we've decided to keep it all together and later on break it.

Regarding the Wiki and IRC channel - its something we've gone through before. The main problem here is the overhead. Someone's got to keep them updated and running.

Due to the limited resources, we decided it would be best to focus on the site's material and forums, rather than the rest.

Comments, and further suggestions are welcome!

Cheers guys,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
13 years 11 months ago #34620 by Nevins
Aside from users creating data what is the overhead on an IRC channel or a wiki?

Generally speaking it's all user generated content and sometimes you don't even have to host. As far as overhead goes for a wiki all you have to do is create one on a free hosted wiki and put a link on your site to it. IRC may be more of an issue if you wish to moderate it but there are many chat widgets that you can download some even come from phpBB.

The worse thing that could happen is you set it up and nobody uses it.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds