Skip to main content

Sahir's Blogspot

More
20 years 3 months ago #2529 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Sahir's Blogspot
Hmm quite a hubbub.. it appears that the anti-virus scanners have started reporting the IE url spoofing exploit as malicious code. This is a good thing, as the only two reasons that code would be on the web is either to demonstrate the vulnerability, or to exploit it.

Anyway I suppose the purpose I posted the link for -- to draw awareness to the issue -- has been fulfilled. However Microsoft has still to patch this vulnerability.. I can't for the life of me see why its taking them so long as it is probably being rampantly exploited already.

Given that my blog makes it clear that its a demonstration, I'm not going to pull the link just yet, what I have done is move it to another page, so anyone who wants to check out the demo will have to knowingly click that link first. I will also post a warning at the top of the page to let other visitors know that their virus scanner might go off.

Thanks for the info Cheetah, I apologise if I came across bluntly in my original response, I was kind of caught off guard when I read your post and credibility is a serious issue when you're involved with security. The last thing I would want people to think is that my weblog was trying to exploit something !

Anyway, now that thats all done with (hopefully ;)).....

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2591 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: Sahir's Blogspot
nnbnbHi Guys,

I saw the blogspot, thats nice :) Please dont take my comments personaly; as mentioned previously, it was just constructive, IMHO.

Finally, we have the patch from MS. For your convinience I am pasting 2 lines extracted from the patch page. ;) You may find more info from the MS Page.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb ;[ln];833786

- Verify that there is a lock icon in the lower right Status bar and verify the name of the server that provides the page that you are viewing before you type any personal or sensitive information.

- Do not click any hyperlinks that you do not trust. Type them in the Address bar yourself.

Regards
-Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 2 months ago #2593 by sahirh
Mmm.. theres still no patch for the vulnerability.. they've just given a couple of ways that you can try and protect yourself against being fooled. If they expect people to never click links but to type the URL in manually instead, what is the point of the world wide web ?

The sooner they release an Internet Explorer patch for this, the safer we'll all be. I for one don't go around looking at the source code for every single HTML page I visit.. and I'm one of the paranoid few :)

Joe User will pay the price for this. Its just too simple to execute, and too easy to abuse. A half-wit could think of ways to exploit something this stupid.

When they came out with the last cumulative Internet Explorer patch, I was hoping to see this one among the list.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2608 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: Sahir's Blogspot
Hi Sahirh

That was a sarcastic post. HA HA Got that wink there ;) LoL

Anyone reading Douglas Adams?

-Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 2 months ago #2613 by sahirh
Ahh just noticed that little yellow guy there ! :)
Read Hitchikers Guide years ago...

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 weeks ago #8075 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sahir's Blogspot

Cheetah, I'm afraid you've been misled. The link from firewall.cx leads just straight to my weblog at tftfotw.blogspot.com, it does not lead to any exploit.

The URL spoof exploit which I have demonstrated in one of the posts on my blog does nothing more than fake which site you think you're at (it will say www.google.com in the bar, but will take you to www.firewall.cx instead). There is no malicious content whatsoever.

Furthermore, judging by the URL you've given here, it looks like that is nothing but IE saving to the cache (Temporary Internet Files).

If I post any proof-of-concept exploits at my weblog, I always post source code rather than executables for precisely this reason -- I don't want someone to accidently download and run some malicious binary.

The posts at my weblog are entirely independent of firewall.cx and nobody other than myself is responsible for them. That said, I can tell you that you've made a mistake.. neither firewall.cx nor tftfotw contain any malicious links.

I will be more than happy to confirm any doubts you have regarding my weblog, this site, or the security measures taken by both.
I will PM you my email address as I don't want the spam bots to pick it up here.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds