Skip to main content

the market for piracy

More
16 years 3 months ago #24912 by sose
the market for piracy was created by sose
the most poorest set of people in the world come from Africa that is why we use pirated softwares . I hadly use licensed softwares except free onces cos of my income level. without pirated softwares, we IT protagonists in developing countrries would only be reading about these operating systems, thank God for piracy. those in US an UK should pay cos they can afford them
cheers

sose
More
16 years 3 months ago #24914 by skepticals
Well, that doesn't seem fair.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24921 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: the market for piracy
skeptical
could you kindly elucidate on your point
More
16 years 3 months ago #24939 by skepticals
Sorry, I was being sarcastic again. I was saying it is not fair that because I can afford it, I have to pay... and the people that can't afford it shouldn't have to pay.

Does this mean I get a fancy sports car for free because I can't afford one?

I agree when it comes to education that a great deal of people can't afford the software and without piracy they may never get the chance to be exposed to it.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24940 by toddwoo
Replied by toddwoo on topic Re: the market for piracy
skepticals's comment though sarcastic, makes me think.

How long can software companies drive up and up the cost of products before they inflate themselves out of a job?

They already price themselves out of developing and 3rd world countries, and as they push costs higher and higher more and more countries are falling back to piracy.

Problem is that at a certain point piracy doesn't work anymore, the software producers will go after companies or countries after they get to a certain size and try and squeeze them for the perceived loss. The problem is at that point the users are already dependent on that software/environment, and can't give it up.

The real solution is to use Free and OSS software. Not for the reason others will give (its free, its better, its the future.. bla bla bla) no the real reason to is to force the commercial software developers to re-evaluate there failing business model. One or two entire countries move to Free or OSS and even Microsoft will feel it in the wallet.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24941 by skepticals
I try to make my sarcastic remarks thought provoking...

I'm not sure why more companies are not turning to OSS.

At a normal consumer user leevel, I know a great deal of people that think they need to shell out hudreds of dollars for the latest MS Office because they can't open a DOC file or need a work processor.

Main stream software is similiar to a virus; once one person uses it, the people around him will become infected (require the software).
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds