Skip to main content

Powerquest bought by Symantec

More
20 years 4 months ago #2030 by tfs
I just found out that Symantec just bought Powerquest. Not really happy about this. With all the problems they have with their other products, I expect Powerquests programs to suffer, if not disappear.

I have used their Drive Image and Partition Magic programs for a long time and have been pretty happy with them. I did try Ghost years ago and didn't really like it (it may be better now). But now you are really not going to have a choice. I just see this as Symantec gobbling up the competition (similar to MS).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 4 months ago #2035 by sahirh
Oh god that really sucks... did you see what they did to securityfocus after they bought them ? The site is only half decent now because of the people who work there (and the fact that they host bugtraq).. but it was wayyy better before.

Symantec is really starting to get irritating.. they should concentrate on putting out better quality software rather than swallowing every decent company out there and then ruining them !

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2051 by TomaHawK
powerquest definitly needs and algorithm in Partition Magic to check for reasonablitily in partiton changes! the other day i tried to install Linux (and i succeeded), so first i wanted to create 2 partitons for Linux and pushed partitons in partitonmagic abit around did this and that until it did fit my needs, all in all three or four steps, BUT partiton magic remembered all my fiddling so i restarted the puter and then partiton magic started resizing, reallocation, deleting creating and so on...all in all 16 steps.. HMNARGH!!!!! 2 hours later i started the install =// call me lame hehe

all errors are intended, correction will lead to sudden death
More
20 years 4 months ago #2062 by Chris
Oh man, that's aweful news. What's next ? Microsoft buy's out Symantec ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 4 months ago #2064 by sahirh
Mmm how about Microsoft buys Cisco ?
or SCO buys RedHat ?

hehe

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More