17 years 2 months ago #19702 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
Smurf,

Thanks for that mate.

Cheers
More
17 years 1 month ago #20325 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
I'm hitting this post even though it's propably dead...

I would just add a truecrypt ( www.truecrypt.org ) volume and stick the truecrypt executable on the disk in the unencrypted space.

Either that or commercial products like PGPDisk and PointSec are not a bad idea.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
17 years 1 month ago #20361 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
Having had my laptop nicked recently and all the questions that raises along the lines of "what sensitive data did I have on there?" (fortunately none), the issue of USB key security is anything but dead for me. Many of us use USB keys for file transfer and portability, and if you're like me you just leave stuff on there until it gets full then make a bit of space and carry on again. It's such an easy device to lose and so easy to read (they would have had to trash and reinstall my laptop in order to sell it on down the pub, but a USB key just plugs in and bingo!). Not only that, but I was getting into the habit of using my USB key for backup - I have some documents I'm working on, and after each session I would just dump them to the key with the logic that if my hard disk goes my precious work will be safe. Then I started to think just how small and loseable that USB stick is...
I think it's time to be more careful!
More
17 years 1 month ago #20362 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
Some of the software Sahirh has touched on do provide a pretty secure way to protect data on USB drives. The only thing i don't like about them (well the one i look at), you need to install the software into the OS to decrypt the portion of the USB thats encrypted. I found that it was almost an All or Nothing approach when i really wanted to utilise part of the USB drive encrypted for sensitive data and the other half for just putting crap onto it for transfering things from one machine to another.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 1 month ago #20366 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
Mmm.. you shouldn't need to install Truecrypt. The installable runs directly like a portable app off the USB. It will load the driver to access the encrypted information and unload it when you've finished.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
17 years 1 month ago #20368 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: USB Flash Drives
Yes, now you come to mention it the one i had when i bought my USB Drive worked in the same way. I was thinking of PGPDesktop that i was also playing with.

From what i remember from the one that came with the USB Drive, it kept the executable in an unencrypted part of the USB Drive, it was a while back though when i played with it :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds