Skip to main content

VMWare

More
20 years 3 months ago #2251 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: VMWare
Ok nubs, I have it set up like this :
I have a dial-up connection, and no LAN card, the networking is set to NAT, in other words I use my Windows XP host as a NAT machine. The reason you're not getting things set up is because the proper virtual lan cards may not be setup or the NAT / DHCP services may not be started up.

There is a network config tool in the VMWare folder in your Start menu. I suggest you look at the settings there. Enable the DHCP and NAT adapters. I'm posting what my setup looks like here. Keep in mind that this is not when everything is running, but this is a basic setting from where I can tweak things into shape. I think most likely your DHCP and NAT services are disabled so you can't select those options.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2257 by nubs
Replied by nubs on topic Re: VMWare
Thanks Sahir, your the best!

I guess it helps to properly configure ZoneAlarm too :lol:
More
20 years 3 months ago #2268 by sahirh
Gosh yes bloody Zonealarm lol ! I was so stupid... I had a Win2k virtual machine up and it was totally unpatched so in ZA I made the VMWare net hostile, just in case.

Anyway I forgot about this, and a couple of days later I'm trying to work off one of the other virtual machines and I was just not able to connect to it or vice versa. I have ZA 'hidden always' in customize notifications so I couldn't even figure out what was wrong. Took me the better part of an hour !

That ranks as one of my stupidest moments... right up there with when late one night I was watching some traffic, and I tried to session splice into a UDP 'session'... for the life of me I don't know what I was thinking there, felt like a nitwit a minute later when I wrapped my brain round what my fingers were trying to do !

*for the people that din't get that one, big hint: UDP is a connectionless protocol...

Hope you've got the VMWare boxen up and running ? Its great to learn security with.. whip up a couple of virtual machines and then break into them. Then look at it the other way around, see what signatures you pick up in the logs on the victim etc. I'm also using them more and more to test exploits.. you can try something and not given a damn if the virtual machine lives or dies.

You can also do something I always wanted to do on a linux box
rm -rf /
Don't try that one at home, you'll be erasing everything.
:lol:

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2275 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: VMWare
OK, Sahirh - you can laugh now.

I was looking into putting Zonealarm on my system just to see if there was anything being sent out that might be causing my system to run slow at times. I looked at the site and saw "PestPatrol" that looked interesting. Know anything about it?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 3 months ago #2276 by sahirh
Hmm yeah I havent used pestpatrol, but I know that whenever you google for any trojan's name, you'll invariably find the pestpatrol site giving very detailed instructions on how to remove it. So it must be a good product.

I've been putting two and two together, and figure you're talking about your win2k machine that you think has a trojan. Have you tried running a sniffer just to see whats going on ? Or better yet, watch tcpview for processes that are making strange connections. If there's something thats scanning large ranges of IP's you'll see tons of connections.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
13 years 10 months ago #34860 by bnbn
Replied by bnbn on topic Re: VMWare
try using the free sun virtualbox. one of the best for virtual OS's

bnoy
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds