Skip to main content

VMware/Windows2000

More
20 years 1 month ago #3224 by glacier
VMware/Windows2000 was created by glacier
Hi all,
Installed VMware a while ago and can not figure out a problem. I have read the manual over and over and looked all over the internet. Using VM workstation 4.0 and trying to install Win2k on it and keep getting a message " not enough memory " when I run setup.exe. I am running an inhouse box with a 1.0 ghz. Duron, (it was free) 40 gig hd and 512 PCI100 ram with XP pro OS. I know that I must be missing something simple :oops: . Any suggestions would be great.

thanks,
glacier
More
20 years 1 month ago #3227 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: VMware/Windows2000
Glacier –

It sounds like you do not have enough guest OS RAM assigned, look at the pix below so you can see underneath settings you can change them.

The snapshots below are from VMWare ver 3.2.0 but the steps will be the same.
Just a side note, I have found issues with ver 4, the guest OS would crash a lot and upgrading previous guest OS’s just really never worked proper.
This is why I have stuck with 3.x. But you may have great success.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3230 by glacier
Replied by glacier on topic Re: VMware/Windows2000
Jack,
Thanks for the post. Yes I have allocated as much guest ram as possible. I have even tried to give VM rights to the physical drive. No luck. Going to try bumping up my ram to 1 gig and try that but from all the documentation I have read it should not be needed. I haven't seen any problems mentioned that you had w/4.0 but thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to get this thing running....have lots of R&D to do.

Thnaks for the pics
glacier
More
20 years 1 month ago #3234 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: VMware/Windows2000
Glacier –

After rereading your original post I see something I missed last night (when I was extremely tired, this will also explain my poor grammar in that posting….)

You state “trying to install Win2k on it and keep getting a message “not enough memory “when I run setup.exe”. My question is where are you running “setup.exe”? Windows 2000 does not use "setup.exe" to install, it uses "winnt.exe"

After you have created the guest OS in VMWare you should just simple boot up from the CD (booting from the CD is called “El Torreto” in VMWare it is not dependent on your motherboards BIOS) in VMWare and create the partition then it would start the install.

If you have already created the partition in VMWare then after you either boot to a Win98 boot floppy or have the hard drive bootable with CD support your next step would be to change directories to the CD player in the I386 folder and run winnt, this will start the process of installing Windows 2000.

Command Line steps to run from DOS once you’re at the C prompt, D is assuming it’s your CD player, change it to what it really is:

C:\>cd d:\i386 [ENTER]
D:\i386>winnt [ENTER]

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds