Skip to main content

Diskeeper - The Ultimate Defragger

More
20 years 5 months ago #1748 by sahirh
Most admins will already know Diskeeper...

In case you don't, let me just say that you need to throw out all your preconceptions of what defragging is and how long it takes. We've all tried using microsoft defrag or even Norton Speedisk and left the machine on for hours (days ?) waiting for it to finish.. and then not seen any real improvement.

Now Diskeeper is a class apart. This baby claims to defrag 800% faster than windows defrag (It takes about a minute to run my 20 GB partition) and when you're done.. Whoa your machine will FLY !

Furthermore you can defrag just the swap file, or the files run at boot time !! This is awesome for speeding up your windows boot time.. diskeeper will start before windows starts up (kinda like how scandisk used to start) and will defrag the paging file, MFT etc etc.

Other than that its got features like FragGuard which stops the disks getting fragmented, Set-it-and-forget-it mode, Scheduler, Screensaver mode, and TONS more.

More than anything, this things claims are verifiable.. I personally vouch for it, its one of my top ten programs.

Maybe later I'll stick in some screenshots to make this post pretty, till then go get it

www.diskeeper.com

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1758 by tfs
I haven't actually tried it myself, but have heard of it.

I am curious how it can do this in that amount of time. That sounds faster than it takes to format a disk.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1810 by sahirh
Believe me, when I first read the claims I figured it for a load of bs. But god knows how it actually does manage it.. and there is so definetely a performance boost.

I think somewhere on the website they have a link to independent tests done by a standards company.

Hehe defragging has become fun.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1815 by sahirh
Well I thought I'd verify the claims individually. So I took a couple of before and after screenshots of it defragging a 12MB partition. It took three and a half minutes, slightly longer than I expected.. but as you can see from the screenshots I was doing a lot of things (running winamp and photoshop ;)) In fact I opened Photoshop while the defrag was going on so that I could edit the first screenshot.

Im just linking to the images because they are more than 600 pixels wide and will mess up the tables if I insert them in the post.

www.firewall.cx/sahirh/Before.gif
www.firewall.cx/sahirh/After.gif

Pay attention to the clock in the bottom corner.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds