Skip to main content

Windows Longhorn Leaked ! (And a winamp5 beta :)

More
20 years 5 months ago #1588 by sahirh
Yes I like attention grabbing post titles :) However its true, you can see btis of what longhorn looks like over here :
www.iexbeta.com

They've got screenshots of the bootup, setup, desktop, wallpaper, explorer, messenger and a couple of other things.. frankly I don't think it looks all that different from XP.

Heres a nice article on the upcoming GUI upgrade -- codenamed Avalon.
www.joeuser.com/index.asp?AID=639

What I'm really interested in is the fact that they've apparently souped up the command line (codename MONAD) to make it really powerful for scripting etc.. with a little luck they'll give the day to day admins something as powerful as the UNIX CLI but perhaps a bit more friendly.. though I don't see how they're gonna work that out without blatantly ripping off really old redirection and piping ideas from UNIX. You can check out previews here
www.winbeta.org/winbeta/forums/index.php...f&showtopic=1179

Here are some details from the article :

Key Features:
MSH - Microsoft Shell
Focused on Automation & scripting
Focused on power users and administrators

Provides:
Interactive shell
Cmdlets
Utilities
Scripting language
Remote scripting
Foundation for Task-Based management

Sounds quite nice.

As far as the filesystem is concerned, a few of you may know that they're totally revamping -- no more NTFS or FAT/32.. its gonna be based on an SQL database and according to experts if it works it'll be one of the biggest leaps in operating system technology since ... well a long time ;) here's an article about it.
www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030617/

Well that should keep you guys occupied for a while.

Oh yeah the winamp5 beta has also leaked.. you're probably asking why version 5 ? Where did 4 go ? Well 5 is supposed to take the best of winamp 2 and 3 .. 2 + 3 = .. well you get it. I quite like it.. it hasn't crashed on me yet.
www.iexbeta.com
www.iexbeta.com/files/winamp50beta2.exe -- direct link

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds