Skip to main content

Network Toolkit - non installable

More
20 years 6 months ago #1366 by tfs
You know what would be useful, but no one talks about.

A toolkit with diagnostic tools that don't install themselves on a target machine. This might be useful to a Network Tech that goes from customer to customer and wants to diagnose someones system and needs to use the customers computers. Most of the programs available, especially for Windows, seem to install and leave config files or registry entries. This would not be necessary if you are inhouse or bring a portable computer you can connect to a clients network. But sometimes that might not be possible.

I would like to put together a CD with only programs that run directly from the CD - sniffers (protocol analysers), Port scanner, etc. without loading a bunch of files to the users system.

Both Windows and Linux would be good.

Thanks

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1367 by Manip
superscan (Version 3) - Definitive Port scanner (Not 4, 4 sucks)

Clearly superscan is not the most advanced port scanner around (NMap) but doesn't require any lib's and doesn't install any crap. Personally I love it, I have NMap + Superscan (plus many many others) but use superscan 3.

Most tools I require on the job are normally on the machine anyway. I bring along:

M$ Memory test tool
W2K CD (For recovery console)
NTFS-Dos bootable CD
Partition magic CD
Norton AV CD

What else do you need?
More
20 years 6 months ago #1368 by tfs
I don't really need anything, just looking at possibilies.

I also use what is on the computer I bring with me, but if you are asked to look at a users machine, you can't necessarily use your machine, but need to use a program you bring with you to analyze the machine.

What don't you like about superscan 4.0? I don't know if it loads anything or not, but it does come with a registry.txt file full of entrys. I don't know if this file is loaded, but I know that the entries are in my system. Superscan 3.0 doesn't work for NT or W3k, at least that is what foundstone says.

Thanks

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1371 by sahirh
Hmm I already have an old CD with a whole lot of stuff that worked straight off. If I were making one again it would include :

Nmap - (Unfortunately it would need libpcap to run on windows.. but we're servicing nix boxes as well right ?)

7th sphere portscan - One little file, multiple thread support, grabs banners

NetworkActive Sniffer - Can be run as one file

Windump - Command line sniffer

WSPingpro - Though it does has an install, you can run direct off CD

TCPview - Never leave home without it

Autoruns - Same as above

Nemesis - For packet injection

NTFS4DOS - In case you need to read NTFS from a floppy

The nice thing about linux is that you'll pretty much get ANY tool you want right out of the shell... I mean theres even a command line tool to do your subnetting for you.

Even windows has some nice command line tools -
net - for general windows administration
netsh - for routing
nslookup - for querying dns
pathping
ping
tracert

Whats even better is to have a laptop configured this way :
Windows 2000 main OS.
Linux running under VMWare,
Both OS's will have a well organised toolbox,
The Windows box will keep your on the spot library - documentation, quick howtos, etc.

What I would like is a command line data recovery tool that I can use off the CD.. I'm sure you can get them to run off a bootable floppy etc.

Hmm it would be nice to compile a full wishlist with everyones votes.

Nice post

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds