Skip to main content

messengers

More
19 years 10 months ago #3938 by indebluez
messengers was created by indebluez
hey guys, howz everybdy:)
i was jus thinkin...my friend's company only allow yahoo mesgger to be used on their machines....i noe instant messengers , are sometimes blocked by the admins...so no trojans cannot back connect throu the open ports opened by the messnegers?...(novice so may not be the right chooice of wrds;)

so how come they allow...yahoo...but not msn...any ideas?

inde
More
19 years 10 months ago #3945 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: messengers
Nope its not got anyting to do with back connecting through a messengers ports.. its so that
1. employees dont waste time chatting
2. people cant send them malicious files.. viruses, worms, trojans etc.

So the admins usually block some of the instant messaging clients.. in this case they have not blocked Yahoo messenger. Sometimes blocking messaging clients can be difficult if the port range is large / arbitrary, or the firewall is not application-aware.. or the service keeps adding new servers.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #3955 by IFTY
Replied by IFTY on topic Re: messengers
indebluez...

different services and ports even websites can be blocked through router and ISA server,so blocking any messenger service is pretty simple........
More
19 years 10 months ago #3959 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: messengers
hi,
hmm.... well it could be possible that the messenger is used for official purposes also ....besides chattin i mean..

and to see to it that it does not go completely out of hand ...they may have restricted it to one..... :lol:

or maybe...they might be in some kind of collaboration with yahoo :wink:

or maybe , they dont like the name MSN :P

or maybe i've gone crazy.......

or maybe its just that , it feels so good to put up a post after so long that i just keep on typing whatever keeps comin in my mind.. :P

so you see .....there could be a lot of reasons.....or maybe...
More
19 years 10 months ago #3967 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: messengers
Hahaha or it could be that ISA server doesn't like to block MSN :)

ISA Server is the most top heavy piece of software I have ever seen. You can do all its functions more efficiently using software thats free, less bloated, and much more secure.

I would love to see that fancy GUI hold up when it has to keep state during a SYNflood.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds