Skip to main content

Virtual machines

More
15 years 11 months ago #26282 by beexo
Replied by beexo on topic Re: Virtual machines
Yes, the idea would be to have different VMs (Windows, Linux, Etc) in a server and then choose to load one of these VMs. And yes, it would be used by more than one user at a time.

I am talking about a local network. Imagine a room with say 30 PCs or terminals. These will be used by different people at different times. Some will want to use Windows XP, other Windows Vista, other Linux Red Hat, others Linux Ubunto, other Windows with some special programs or setup. So the same PC or terminal would load the virtual machine from the server based on what the user selected at boot time.

If this is not possible, what about this as an alternative?

You setup a computer with multiple virtual servers, then on the thin clients (if using terminal services) or on the PCs be able to select which virtual server to load or connect to.

Virtuozzo or OpenVZ "is commonly used in virtual hosting environments" and it has some limitations, such as not being able to host diferent system OS. Also, not shure if it can be used in a local network as I mentioned above.
More
15 years 11 months ago #26284 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Virtual machines

Two different users, using the same VM image at the same time?

Can't remember if that is possible on VMware Server. But I'd really vote for trying it first since it's free.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds