Skip to main content

NAT

More
21 years 2 days ago #24 by SmartDude
NAT was created by SmartDude
Dear Admin,
I would like to know something more about NAT. That is
1. Can we use NAT in Dial up connection ?
2. Can we use NAT/ICS with firewall software together?
Hope u will clear my doubts soon and i would like to know what are the minimum requirements for NAT as i think u haven't mentioned in ur NAT tutorial.
Thank you.

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
21 years 1 day ago #25 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic NAT
Sussane,

You're right! There is nothing mentioning NAT Dialup! Now how on earth did I miss something like that?

As for the NAT/ICS and Firewall software, it will be covered in the Advanced section.

Now, to answer your first question, the truth is that when using ICS, you are actually working with NAT!

When a PC on your internal lan sends out a packet to the Internet via your gateway (e.g a WinXP/2k machine) then the gateway pc will perform the same functions as described in NAT Overload mode. It will also keep track of the connections that have been established, so when replies come back from the Internet, it will know which internal client it needs to forward them to.

However, depending on the implementation of NAT, you might even been able to map specific ports on the gateway to your internal machines.

As for the second question, yes you can use firewall software with NAT. This what most gateways/Firewalls do. They give your local network the ability to connect to the internet, but at the same time restrict the type of data/packets allowed to enter/exit the private network. As mentioned, this will be analysed in great depth (yes, with cool diagrams aswell :> ) in the NAT Advanced section which will unfortunately take some time to go online due to my extreamly busy schedule and studies.

Hope this clears things up for you [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

[ 24 April 2003: Message edited by: Admin ]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds