Skip to main content

Cisco routers and switch

More
16 years 6 months ago #23509 by skylimit
Hello guys,

I was wondering if any1 could advise me on where to purchase second-hand cisco routers 2500 (2) and say 2950 switch to help me as I prepare for my ccna exams. Apart from ebay is there a place i could get them for a good price? Any1 gat some to sell etc. any replies appreciated.

Cheers,

p.s. wasnt sure i posted in the rite thread but o wel.....

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
16 years 6 months ago #23510 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Cisco routers and switch
Not to ignore your legitimate question. But if your aim is only to grab CCNA. then a cheaper way (and some times faster) is to practice on a simulator software.

Check "boson netsim" or "packet tracer". You can also try the free emulator "Dynagen".

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 6 months ago #23517 by toddwoo
nnbnbnnbnbI'll second S0lo's suggestion. If you are just banging out CCNA to have CCNA skip the gear and go for a sim. www.routersim.com/ is nice.. and has an online by the hour service I got to try for free and was excellent.... www.netlearningtools.com/nlt/index.rsx

HOWEVER...!!! if you are going to try and become a CCNP or higher (like myself) I would suggest looking into a home lab. Getting the experience of loading ios, resetting passwords, trouble shooting "bad" cables. Working with SNMP network monitors..etc.etc... Is a HUGE benefit... BUT only if you are going the distance.

If thats the case... what I had bought to learn with ( and am using to build my CCNP lab) was three 2600 routers and two 2912 switches.

I got three 56k DSU WIC cards for the routers, they can be used for point to point.. cheep and easy for a lab. (WARNING you need to make your own cables for this...!!!)

And three 1T WIC and the back to back cables to connect them.

There is alot of stuff you can go through with this setup. And is a good start on a CCNP or higher lab.

A few quick "gotcha's" from a guy who knows.
Make sure you get enough mem and flash for the ios you want to run.

Don't get any 1900 series switches. JUST DON'T.

Shop around a while... Lots and lots of stuff on ebay.. Keep looking, you won't find everything you need in one weekend.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23717 by skylimit
thanks guys. I also heard of a simulator called vpod. Haven't tried it though.

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds