Skip to main content

Vlan Communication

More
17 years 5 months ago #18685 by dipenshah
Vlan Communication was created by dipenshah
Hi All,

This doubt is regarding VLAN communication.

I have two non- cisco switch, I have created two Vlan's namely 10 and 20 on both of my switch. The switch I work on does not support trunking.

I want my vlan 10 of my first switch to communicate with a system in vlan 20 of another switch. I have an Layer 2 device, no router nor trunking, I can use tagging if required. Will they communicate.

cheers
More
17 years 5 months ago #18691 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: Vlan Communication

Hi All,

This doubt is regarding VLAN communication.

I have two non- cisco switch, I have created two Vlan's namely 10 and 20 on both of my switch. The switch I work on does not support trunking.

I want my vlan 10 of my first switch to communicate with a system in vlan 20 of another switch. I have an Layer 2 device, no router nor trunking, I can use tagging if required. Will they communicate.

cheers

No, you need a router to communicate across vlans. You could bridge the 2 vlans together, but at that point, you might as well just run everything on a single vlan.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18716 by dipenshah
Replied by dipenshah on topic Re: Vlan Communication
hey,

thanks, even i had the same answer for the given scenario.. but still trying if i can communicate as it is a non cisco device..

cheers
More
17 years 5 months ago #18724 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Vlan Communication
Hi there,

Bridging as d_jabsd suggested is really on used as a temporary measure during the migration phase of configuring Inter-VLAN Routing.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18738 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: Vlan Communication

hey,

thanks, even i had the same answer for the given scenario.. but still trying if i can communicate as it is a non cisco device..

cheers

The device doesn't matter. 802.1q vlan protocol is a standard. Every device follows the same rules. Unless that device is a layer 3 switch or a router, you won't be able to communicate across vlans.

A router is required. Bridging will work but it is a _very_ bad idea.
If you are considering bridging for anything beyond a temporary measure, you should take pause and rethink your deign.

Keep in mind, you don't need a hardcore router to do this. You could use a cheap system running a BSD or Linux with 2 nics (or one nic if your switch supports trunking) and route with that.
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds