Skip to main content

TCP Retransmissions

More
17 years 7 months ago #16337 by wlekns
TCP Retransmissions was created by wlekns
My clients are reporting slowness and hangs in the applications. When packet sniffing I am finding a large number of TCP Retransmissions - how do I tell if it is my device that is causing the issue or if the client device is sending bad packets?
More
17 years 7 months ago #16338 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Re: TCP Retransmissions
hi,
check the source address of all the packets that required retransmissions. if there are more than one client devices sending packets into the network for other devices as destinations, then check which is the one giving out the most retransmitted packets. retransmissions can be due to various factors, lost packets is very common, damaged ones, etc are other causes. find out bottlenecks in your network structures. check for all points of entry and exit for packets where packet switching is being done.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 7 months ago #16344 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: TCP Retransmissions
Depending on which software you are using. You should be able to "walk through" the conversations, and see where the failure is. We use Ethereal amongst others and that is quite good at finding things like that.
More
17 years 7 months ago #16355 by wlekns
Replied by wlekns on topic Re: TCP Retransmissions
My Ethereal experience is limited

When stepping through using Ethereal the output is garbled - suggestions?
More
17 years 7 months ago #16377 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: TCP Retransmissions
Garbled how exactly?
More
17 years 7 months ago #16382 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: TCP Retransmissions
Assuming there are no security issues, maybe you could dump your trace here, and we can have a look at it for you.

Cheers

Rockape
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds