Skip to main content

Broadband connection

More
18 years 1 month ago #13827 by mydeuter
Hi,
I using broadband services using ZTE adsl modem . I subscribe 1Mbps best effort services but I normally get around 20-50kbps .Damn slow . Any tips on how to increase or steal bandwidth :twisted: ? I'm using win xp . TQ
More
18 years 1 month ago #13830 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic bandwidth
hi tq,
if you are subscribing to 1 mbps broadband service, then you should get atleast 80% of the promised bandwidth. there can be various issues like cabling, registry settings for TCP/IP on your pc, firewalls, spyware and other things that can cause such abyssmally low bandwidth.
have you contacted your ISP regarding this? what is their take on this issue?

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 1 month ago #13833 by havohej
Replied by havohej on topic Re: Broadband connection
hi.
Dont know if that adsl device supports snmp, if it can try MRTG, and monitor the normal bandwidth operation.

Next, try to ping the wan directly connected ip address of the next hop (normally, the isp wan interface,not leaving to the internet).

and try to damn stuck it!

lots and lots of bigger pings with lenght of 10000

ping -t xx.xx.xx.xx -l 10000

try to open until the mrtg takes a look if it is at the local loop,, or do a traceroute to look at maybe a bottleneck in one of the paths from the isp to the internet.

I dont think, it is the windows device.

Luck!
More
18 years 3 weeks ago #13886 by tHe-SwItCh
U may want to resonsider the following :

a. Verify with your ISP that the actual switching has taken place for the 1 Mbps service

b. Does your ZTE thingy hv its own inbuilt router ? Not always, bt it has been observed that certain NAT devices (more of a individual unit Hardware/ Firmware issue) do let you down on speeds. You may want to ensure it is operating in the 'Bridged' mode of operation.

c. How are you measuring the speeds ? Over P2P ? in which case it may not be giving you a fair idea, so happens .... is more reliable on some days than on some others. Try downloading over different websites/ portals since certain websites may have this bandwidth limitation imposed on multiple downloads by the same user/ account.

Importantly, have this verified across downloads of various sizes so as to provide a stable, statistical n reliable measure of the occurence

d. Verify whether you are hosting any service .... FTP, WWW etc. Essentially, though the Upload and Download channels are different and no interference should occur, I had this happen to me on more than a single occasion where increased Uploading would render my system slow and consequently unable to take the increased Download channel bottleneck on offer. This may be rare but is nonetheless existent. A variation of this may cause your ZTE unit to respond slowly/ hangup, replacing the same should help you determine the cause as well.

e. Finally, try getting multiple reports of online speed tests from dslreports.com etc
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14103 by kunaltyagi
Replied by kunaltyagi on topic Re: Broadband connection
i have been with an ISP .... the promised rate to be delivere is 80% of the subscription under normal circumstances .... first of all u should talk to ur ISP and get it checked because it can be a problem with the switching from ISP end which might be faulty .... and if everything from their end is fine ...... then only touch ur computer to change the settings

I'm an artist by living --- my art is my life
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds