Skip to main content

802.11xx ?

More
19 years 6 months ago #5568 by Jobbaciy
802.11xx ? was created by Jobbaciy
:?:
Hello eveybody,
I have a couple of question:
1. If someone who have a deeper understanding about WIRELESS LAN,I want to know more about 802.11xx protocols.<As a tutorial if there is a site on this>
2.Let's assume that we have both wireless and wire LANs.We know that we have to have devices like Hub or Switch.My question is that can we change our switch(The Previous wired switch) into wirless switch-In background knowldge Switch is taking care of Hardware(correct me if I am wrong)But rather Bridge is working with software.In this assumption can we USE our pervious switch for Wireless purpose?
The Last questions.Sorry that I had to stop after the second one:
3.Assume that I AM WORKING AS ADMIN.,BOTH IN WIRLESS AND WIRED LAN IN ONE ORGANIZATION.
CAN i KNOW (basically,in the server controller view)-EITHER A PERSON IS USING wireless(Laptop) OR wired(PC) LAN???? :?:
Hope to say more!
~Jobbaciy>
More
17 years 5 months ago #18483 by ossankara
Replied by ossankara on topic Re: 802.11xx ?
i think that i dont have that much knowledge to answer but trying to say what ever i know.
answers for ur questions

1.i dont have info

2.u can use ur switch for wireless purpose, the bridge wireless access point will be conected to the switch

3.as far as my knowledge is conerned there is no chance of knowing who is conected with wired and who is with wireless ( i am sure,if possible plz let me also know)
More
17 years 5 months ago #18488 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: 802.11xx ?
nnbnbAgain, i am no expert on this either, YET :lol: Here are my thoughts on it;

1. The different standards on the protocols are mainly to do with speeds and occupying different frequency ranges. This document explains a little about it www.pchardware.co.uk/wireless.php

2. Sorry but i don't fully understand what you are asking here ?

3. The only way you can do this is to segment the Wireless traffic off. If you had a seperate IP range on the Wireless to the Wired and routed the traffic between then, you can easily identify who was on the Wireless and who wasn't

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19389 by mzinz
Replied by mzinz on topic Re: 802.11xx ?
As for #3. Many SOHO routers offer this information once you log into the router itself. You can often click a link which will show which hosts are connected, along with their mac addresses, and means of connection.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19564 by ossankara
Replied by ossankara on topic Re: 802.11xx ?
answer for question no 3: no way possible for sure
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds