Skip to main content

IP Route !!

More
18 years 8 months ago #9805 by Tarun
IP Route !! was created by Tarun
Hey guys,

--->>> The scenario is that i have 2 hosts ( HostA & HostB ), & both of them are connected 2 each other using 2 routers ( RouterA & RouterB ) & a serial link in between them.

---->>> On HostA i assign the IP address of 192.168.1.1/24 & a gateway of 192.168.1.2

--->>> On HostB i assign the IP address of 192.168.2.1/24 & a gateway of 192.168.2.2

--->>> On the ethernet interface of RouterA i have assigned the IP 192.168.1.2

--->>> On the ethernet interface of RouterB i have assigned the IP 192.168.2.2

--->>> On the Serial interface of RouterA i have asigned the IP address 10.0.0.1

--->>> On the Serial interface of RouterA i have asigned the IP address 10.0.0.2

--->>> I make a static route on RouterA using the command
ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.2

--->>> And i also create a static route on RouterB using the command
ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1

Now, if i try to do a ping 192.168.2.1 from HostA, would that work ?

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
More
18 years 8 months ago #9835 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: IP Route !!
I have a feeling that you are unable to ping thats y , u have put up the question.

From your statements I presume that you have assigned 10.0.0.2 to RouterB actually.

Given the conditions stated, you should be able to ping not just the eth interface of RouterB but Host B also. If you are unable to then you need to do a lil bit of troubleshooting.

Start from Host A and try to ping the gateway address, then serial interface address, RouterB and finally Host B.If required do a traceroute for Host B. See where are you getting blocked up. Check for any filters defined at the routers. And finally depending upon the messages received try to troubleshoot. :D
More
18 years 8 months ago #9842 by Tarun
Replied by Tarun on topic Re: IP Route !!
Well Max,

I tried this out buddy & u are right, this is not working.

Lately i don't have had enough time to troubleshoot this a lot but i have still given atleast 4 hours to this & not have been able to find a solution for this i would post the configuration of both my routers as soon as i am home within the next 2-3 hours, hope some of you would be able to help me then.

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
More
18 years 8 months ago #9855 by havohej
Replied by havohej on topic Re: IP Route !!
Hi. well, if you start to troubleshoot as it was first mentioned start by pingin your own gateway, then, your wan interface, then the next hop wan interface, or maybe do a traceroute, you will see where it misses.

there could be two problems I think.

first, a routing problem, in the first side you must specify a static route that for to get to the other side (lan ip address) you must go by thtis wan interface or this ip adress:

ex:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 serial 0

means that for to go to the subnet 192.68.1.0 /24 you must go by local serial 0 interface

or
ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.2

10.0.0.2 means the next hop ip address of the wan interface of the router attached directly to router serial interface of your local router.

this could be done in router A. On th otther routerfor example router B your could do a static default route :

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1

or

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0

this means that for to go to any subnet with any mask it muts go by serial 0 as the exit interface.

both ways will work!

The second problem I think it could happen is that if your are connecting both routers by a back to back serial cable, remember to specify the dte and the dce, rememeber that the dce is the one that gives you the clockrate, and without clockrate it will not work.

when you are troubleshooting try to troublshoot by the osi layers if you know, for example beggining with the physical player, by looking first if the cables are correctly attached, and also look at the router cofngiuration with various show commands for exampe :

the show interface serial 0, and show controllers serial 0, both command will show you very interesting and useful info

the next step is the layer 2 de datalink, perform a show cdp neighbors, if you hae cdp enabled by default. you will see the deice attached to the other side.

and lastly a show ip route.

luck!!

Well Max,

I tried this out buddy & u are right, this is not working.

Lately i don't have had enough time to troubleshoot this a lot but i have still given atleast 4 hours to this & not have been able to find a solution for this i would post the configuration of both my routers as soon as i am home within the next 2-3 hours, hope some of you would be able to help me then.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds