Skip to main content

VLAN and switch hp procurve 2626

More
18 years 9 months ago #9068 by monic
excuse me for my poor english, j'm italian.

j have a switch hp procurve 2626. J want create more VLAN with only this switch but j want that every VLAN can see the server.
Which is the configuration of my switch?
Is it necessary to have another switch? or a router?

is necessary to use 802.1q? I don't know if every workstation is 802.1q complient.

monica
More
18 years 9 months ago #9071 by LooseCannon
I have never used an HP switch before but their website says it is capable of layer 3 switching so you should be able to route between VLANs. No need to tag the frames with 802.1q as you won't need to use trunk ports if you just use a single switch and have all workstations and servers connecting directly into the ports. You will just need to configure the switch for routing. Should tell you how to do it in the documentation. Very simple to do on a Cisco switch so I'm sure it shouldn't be too big of a deal on HP either.
More
18 years 9 months ago #9097 by monic
so, if i use trunks ports i must use to tag frames.
Is it correct?

But if i want to connect another switch in up-link, shoud i be able to route between VLANS?

monica
More
18 years 9 months ago #9106 by LooseCannon

so, if i use trunks ports i must use to tag frames.
Is it correct?

If you have multiple VLANs and use 2 switches you will need to have a trunk link between them. You then need to tag the frames going over the trunk so that the switch on the other end knows what VLAN the incoming frames belong to. So in answer to your first question, yes, you need to tag them.

But if i want to connect another switch in up-link, shoud i be able to route between VLANS?

If you only have two switches you can just let one of them do the layer 3 switching (routing) and the other will forward any unknown traffic (i.e. traffic destined to a different VLAN) out its trunk port to the switch that is doing the routing. That switch will then forward the traffic onto the proper VLAN, whether it is on that switch or the other.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds