Skip to main content

ASA 5505, Windows Firewall, PuTTY, ping, tftp . .

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #37952 by bs_texas
Hello, This is my first post here. I'm learning about the Cisco ASA 5505/5510. Don't know much yet! Anyway, it has a 7.2 IOS (I assume it's 'IOS' for the ASA.) So, I was looking to update the .bin file on my ASA 5505. I have some 8 version .bin files. And this is not yet fully configured and is not in production.

I can connect to it via the console port. And I connect to it with ASDM using 192.168.10.1 on the ASA and 192.168.10.3 on the laptop.

I downloaded and installed tftpd64 and wanted to make a copy of asa724-k8.bin by tftp'ing it out to the laptop. That's where I discovered I can't ping out from the ASA to the laptop. I can ping from the laptop to the ASA. If I turn off the Windows firewall on the laptop I can ping from the ASA to the laptop. I don't want to turn off the firewall. The laptop is connected to the internet via wireless and to the ASA via ethernet.

So, I'm trying to figure out what tweaks I need to do to the Windows firewall to allow this tftp transfer. It seems I need a new rule in the firewall for PuTTY. Or would it be for the ASA? I've only ever turned the Windows Firewall off and on. I've never gone in a set up an Inbound or Outbound rule for any particular situation.

Maybe I should just disable the wireless for a bit, turn off the firewall, do any tftp'ing, and then turn the firewall back on. But, that seems sorta kludgy if I want to have a regular tftp server I can use.

Thanks for any help?

bs
More
12 years 1 week ago #37954 by Chris
Hi BS and welcome to Firewall.cx!

Perhaps the fast things to do right now, so you can download your .bin file, is to turn all firewall services, antivirus e.t.c off to avoid unwanted problems and then perhaps deal with a more permanent configuration.

I'd also highly advise you read through r0nni's ASA quick setup guide - its easy to follow and will help you get the basics done.

You can find the post here:
www.firewall.cx/forum/10-firewall-filter...5-configuration.html

Hope that helps you.

Good Luck!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds