Skip to main content

Virtualization with cisco & Role of Network Engg

More
14 years 6 months ago #32509 by Redpix
Hi Guys,

Hope you all are doing good and catching up with the latest technologies.
Well, one of them is bothering me ever since I heard that. Being a network engg and working with cisco technologies, I frankly admit that i do not understand how virtualisation benefits or enhances the demand of a network engg. Isn't it the role of a VMware expert more in virtualization than a network engg? Then if this continues will the network engg become obsolete? If all the data center virtualization involves more of a VM ware guys servers virtualization there will be little infrastructure for a network engg to support and his role may be shortened or needless.
So all I want to know is how a network engg will be used in a virtualized world to come or how he should be trained to become a most sought after Network engineer with virtualization.

Many thanks guys, pls post some thoughts related to network engineer's role and virtualization concepts in cisco.

Regards,
Redpix
Network engg - working with an ISP.
More
14 years 6 months ago #32515 by novembre
Things might change in the enterprise space a little. I recently worked on a datacenter consolidation / virtualisation project. We took hundreds of servers from multiple DCs and brought them into one DC and moved them to a couple of VMWare boxes.

That meant getting rid of all the cisco switches previously used to connect the servers, they now use a virtual switch. The vswitch is pretty straight forward, just point and click for VLAN / Trunk groups and there is no need for STP.

So yeah, a few less access switches in the server farm, but not much else changes.
More
14 years 6 months ago #32565 by Redpix
Hello Novembre,
Thaks for your reply, I agree with you that there will be some changes to the infrastruce which looks now, but what kinda of role does a straight forward network engg will play oncew the virtualization has happened and how will the present non-virtualized network engg wikk help such changes take place.

Can anyone shed more light on Virtualization wrt to networking please. ;)

Thanks All,

Redpix
Network Engg- Working with an ISP
More
14 years 6 months ago #32568 by S0lo
I hope I won't be out of scope here,

I think no matter how virtualized a network becomes, it would still need the same network engineers/professionals to configure them simply because VMs are going to be connected to real networks/PCs at the end of the day. Wither the router/switch/firewall is virtual or real, it would still need some one to configure it. Just as wither the PC is virtual or real it would still need some one to work on it.

The bottom line is, each user needs a PC, and each PC wither virtual or real will have to have a physical terminal connected to the real network. Thats where virtualization can't do.

Just a thought, I might be wrong.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 6 months ago #32579 by Redpix
Well S0lo much appreciated for yur thought. But I feel the role would diminish for a real network engg if he is with virtualisation. I mean how can we (Network engg) work on cisco virtual features like Nexus 5000 etc etc.. how can we updated to that technology by simply working on the real devices routers switches etc, i mean where can we practise it so that we can get benefitted with it :)

And also does a network engg need to become a VMware engg to cope up with virtualisation? Pls voice your thoughts guys..

thanks much

Redpix,
Network Engg - working with an ISP.
More
14 years 5 months ago #32691 by FlipRich
I see this is an old post, but i just thought I'd put my two cents in since i'm new to this site.

Network Engineers arent going anywhere. I just read a little about the v-switching functionality that VMware offers and it really isnt even close to providing the services that Cisco switches and routers and ASA's, and IPS's, etc. do.

Dont worry. We're safe. And maybe in the future, Cisco will start developing their own vitualization solution to compete.

But that's just my thoughts. :-)

Rich
Network Engineer /CCNP, CCNA-S
Tallahassee, FL
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds