Skip to main content

Data rate misconception ?

More
14 years 7 months ago #32258 by Chicago_Techie
I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me?

Let's say Source host and destination host are the same distance apart for both scenarios. We'll say 100 meters.
We'll also say there are no networking problems and the same amount of intermediary networking devices between Host A and Host B.
So basically, all things physical and logical are equal for the two Scenario's except for link speeds.

No other traffice excpet for the 1 packet being sent.

Scenario 1:
Host A sends 1 packet to host B over a 10Mbs copper ethernet link.

Scenario 2:
Host A sends 1 packet to host B over a 100Mbs copper ether net link.

1.) Isn't it true that the packet should get from Host A to Host B in the same amount of time regardless of the link speed being 10Mbs vs 100Mbs?

2.) Shouldn't this be true up until the 10Mbs link nears it's capacity of 10Mbs?

I've tried to google information about this but cant seem to find any references. Does anyone have any documentation or can point me to any refrences regarding Data-rate and Link speeds?

Much appreciated!
More
14 years 7 months ago #32264 by beexo
Replied by beexo on topic Re: Data rate misconception ?
Well. Lets see. Do the electrons move any faster depending on the speed selected. I don´t think so. Therefore the speed is based on how fast the the signal can be processed. I would then say that once the packet leaves host 1, it takes the same time to reach host 2, independent of the speed that was selected. However because at 100mb you can process more data than at 10mb in the same amount of time, you can squeeze more information.
In conclusion, the packets aren´t moving any faster, but more packets are being sent in the same amount of time.
More
14 years 7 months ago #32266 by Chicago_Techie
Thanks!
More
14 years 7 months ago #32270 by Kajitora
This is only partially true. 100mb Ethernet sends at a much higher Frequency. Because of this a set amount of time will have a lot more highs and lows then in a lower frequency.

itgamers.blogspot.com
More
14 years 7 months ago #32271 by Chicago_Techie
I'm not sure I understand. If you have a moment, could you explain?

Regards.

Jesse
More
14 years 7 months ago #32272 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Data rate misconception ?

1.) Isn't it true that the packet should get from Host A to Host B in the same amount of time regardless of the link speed being 10Mbs vs 100Mbs?

As has been said above, It's not the traveling of the packets that takes the bulk amount of time, it's how many bits can the sender/receiver process per second.

Taking another look at it, if we arguably assume that it's TRUE. i.e. If we assume that one packet traveling at 10Mbps takes exactly the same amount of time that another packet traveling at 100Mbps takes. Then, we can say that one Billion packets at 10Mbps take the same amount of time another one Billion packets at 100Mbps take (Since packets on Ethernet are sent sequentially). Then why use 100Mbps over 10Mbps. In fact why not use 1Mbps, or even 1Kbps?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds