Skip to main content

managed vs unmanaged switch

More
20 years 3 months ago #2700 by richa
What is the main differebce between managed and unmanaged switch?I heard Managed switch can work at layer 3 also...what are the added features and its benefits?
More
20 years 2 months ago #2720 by Jack
Richa –

Unmanaged is also called “dumb” such as a “dumb-hub”.
Does nothing just allows all traffic to go all through your network, you have no control.

Managed – allows the SysAdmin to take control of the network, allows ports to talk to other ports or none at all. For example I personally have a USR Total Switch (managed), in my network I have several servers (www/ftp/mail, etc…) all connected to the USR.
I can have them set to where they cannot talk to each other nor are they allowed to talk to my print server or my personal computers, etc…, this is great if ever a hacker would breach a server the rest of my boxes are safe. I have set up if a hacker does breach they would go to a dead end and have no access to nothing. I have TCP/UDP/ICMP Ports choked (turned of or redirected). So yes it does work on OSI Layer 3.

Managed is always best if you can afford it, try eBay for good used equipment.

For more information, check out: www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technolog....php/11192_2211021_1

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2804 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Re: managed vs unmanaged switch
Jack is right all the up to the point he said a managed switch operates at layer 3. Only layer 3 switches and routers operate at layer 3. Devices that can use routing protocols and control traffic by way of ip address are layer 3 devices.

You can set up a switch to act as multiple switches thus breaking up your broadcast domains. Separating parts of your network. But if you want to allow traffic to cross these separate broadcast domains you will have to route them with either a layer 3 switch or router.

In fact Layer 3 switching is hardware-based routing. The packet forwarding is handled by specialized hardware ASICs (Application-specific Integrated Circuits). The goal is to capture the speed of switching and the scalability of routing. A Layer 3 switch acts on a packet in the same way that a traditional router does.

Also, to be a truly managed switch it should be capable of being a server, client, or transparent in a VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) domain.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2806 by sahirh
Jack, I wanted to ask you.. how exactly have you set up this dead end system ? When I first read this I thought you were using VLANs, but I have a feeling I'm missing something...

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2857 by naddyboy
Hi ...

this was a question i was puzzled with too until recently ... so far i've captured that a "managed" port is a controlled port ... which can be restricted to access other ports of the switch ... is that correct ? howz this done ???? can pass an example of CLI commands ?

an "unmanaged" port is "dumb" ... meaning it functions like a normal port allowing all traffic to pass thru ...

but how do u separate these ports ?
do u need a VLAN to configure managed ports ??

thanx
Syed
More
20 years 2 months ago #2861 by indebluez
hi naddy,
u are right we segregate the ports using VLAN on the switch...

here are a set of commands as an example...

on the global config mode...
interface e0/3 **this is assigning port 3 onto vlan 10**
swicthport access vlan 10
spanning-tree portfast ** this is telling the switch to skip from blocking mode to forwarding mode, instead of listenin n learnin....to increase the rate of convergance**

int e0/4 **this is assigning port 4 on the switch onto vlan 20**
switchport access vlan 20
spanning-tree portfast

annd u might want to config a default gateway to the swicth as well jus in case u want to ping it...
global config mode
ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1
interface vlan1
ip address 10.1.1.12 255.255.255.0
** theres VLAN1 as deafualt on urswitch....
in fact all the ports are in vlan 1 on ur swicth bey default**

hmm well hope this helps..and if theres any errors in what i have said above:) fire awayyyyy plz
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds