Skip to main content

Applying Subnetted addresses

More
20 years 3 months ago #2561 by NMShadey
**This is all theoretical**

I have a Class C IP address 196.200.10.0 which I have subnetted by borrowing 3 bits giving me a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224

Anyhow I wish to apply these IP addresses to five different departments within an office block...I am fine with all this...However what about the Routers that exist on the network...will these need to have their own IP? or do they simply perform tasks?

Thanks.

Love your Optical Drive :-)
More
20 years 3 months ago #2562 by Chris
Firstly, a subnetmask of 255.255.255.224 will give you aprox. 32 IP Addresses per subnet from which 30 are usable.

If you were to apply this subnet within an network, and wanted these networks to either communicate with each other or other networks, then you would certainly require some type of router in each subnet.

I'd suggest you take a look at the subnetting examples which shows a few different routing scenarios that will surely help you find the ideal solution.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2567 by NMShadey
Hey and thanks for the reply.

I have done all my calculations for the class C address and got all the information that I need, what I was asking was how I actually apply these properly over my network for the five deparments, a server room and router linking the switches located in each department together.

I have a diagram of the network layout below...make comments as necessary if i have gone off road somewhere, thx.

Actually I dunno, can i attach images as a file? lol :D

please if ya want me to send the image to you somehow let me know. thanks :-)[/img]

More
20 years 3 months ago #2568 by NMShadey
Or maybe this seems clearer to answer....If i have a switch in each department that all connect to a central router...does the router need to have an IP address from each of the connecting subnets applied to it?

I have looked at the subnetting section and the examples show 2 subnetted networks and a router where the router has 2 IP's applied, is this the same method for 5?

More
20 years 2 months ago #2762 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Subneting VLANs?
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I don't see one here and it's been more than a month.

Anyway yours is not an easy question without a diagram but assuming one router interface. And assuming you are setting up VLANs on your switches. Then you need to create a subinterface for each subnet and apply an ip address to each subinterface. These will be your default gatways for each subnet.

If you are not setting up VLANs you do not need to subnet and you do not need subinterfaces. Then you will only need one ip address on your router interface.
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds